Finding the Assembly for Two Paths: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: And thanks for the English correction too!In summary, the problem is to integrate a function from -R to R along the real line then integrate from R to -R along the upper half circle with radius R. The left path seems to be the correct solution, but the picture on the right is not clear.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I have this two paths as you can see in the picture and I need to find their assembly (I hope I said it correctly).
Which one is correct, the right or the left?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, "assembly" isn't the correct English. "Union" of the two sets or "combination" of the two paths woud be better.

In any case, the problem, as I interpret this is to integrate some function from -R to R along the real line, then integrate from R to -R along the upper half circle with radius R. On the left, [itex]\gamma1[/itex] seems to be the line y= x or, in terms of complex numbers, t+ it, for t from -R to R. No, that is not at all what is given. But the picture on the right is not clear. You seem to be indicating that [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is raised up to some non-zero y, or in terms of complex numbers, t+ ai for some positive a. That is also not correct. [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is given as t+0i, not t+ some non-zero number times i. You should be showing [itex]\gamma1[/itex] running on the real axis, not above it.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, "assembly" isn't the correct English. "Union" of the two sets or "combination" of the two paths woud be better.

In any case, the problem, as I interpret this is to integrate some function from -R to R along the real line, then integrate from R to -R along the upper half circle with radius R. On the left, [itex]\gamma1[/itex] seems to be the line y= x or, in terms of complex numbers, t+ it, for t from -R to R. No, that is not at all what is given. But the picture on the right is not clear. You seem to be indicating that [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is raised up to some non-zero y, or in terms of complex numbers, t+ ai for some positive a. That is also not correct. [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is given as t+0i, not t+ some non-zero number times i. You should be showing [itex]\gamma1[/itex] running on the real axis, not above it.

Got you :smile:
So it actually the half circle over there together with the diameter, this is my path.

Thanks a lot and also thank you for the English correction :smile:

Well, the first part of the question ask me to find the integral in red (in the pic).
Is it right what I did?

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 403

What you have is correct but this looks more like a problem where you are expected to evaluate the integral around the closed path by using Residues. The integrand has poles of order 1 at i, -i, 2i, and -2i, of which i and 2i are inside the closed path.

HallsofIvy said:
What you have is correct but this looks more like a problem where you are expected to evaluate the integral around the closed path by using Residues. The integrand has poles of order 1 at i, -i, 2i, and -2i, of which i and 2i are inside the closed path.

Oh, yeah, you right, much easier.
And the points that are outside of the closed path equals to 0, right?

Thanks a lot.

What is "Find the path assembly"?

"Find the path assembly" is a scientific method that involves identifying and assembling a series of components or steps to reach a desired outcome or solution.

What are the benefits of using "Find the path assembly"?

Using "Find the path assembly" allows for a systematic approach to problem-solving and can lead to more efficient and effective solutions. It also encourages critical thinking and creativity in finding the most optimal path.

How do I use "Find the path assembly"?

To use "Find the path assembly", first clearly define the problem or desired outcome. Then, break down the components or steps needed to reach the goal. Finally, assemble the components in the most logical and efficient way to achieve the desired result.

Are there any limitations to "Find the path assembly"?

While "Find the path assembly" can be a useful method, it may not always be applicable to every problem or situation. It also relies on accurate and complete information to identify the most optimal path.

Can "Find the path assembly" be used in any field of science?

Yes, "Find the path assembly" can be used in any field of science as it is a general problem-solving method. It can be applied to a wide range of situations, from basic scientific research to complex engineering problems.