Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the path assembly

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    I have this two paths as you can see in the picture and I need to find their assembly (I hope I said it correctly).
    Which one is correct, the right or the left?

Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: Paths

Well, "assembly" isn't the correct English. "Union" of the two sets or "combination" of the two paths woud be better.

In any case, the problem, as I interpret this is to integrate some function from -R to R along the real line, then integrate from R to -R along the upper half circle with radius R. On the left, [itex]\gamma1[/itex] seems to be the line y= x or, in terms of complex numbers, t+ it, for t from -R to R. No, that is not at all what is given. But the picture on the right is not clear. You seem to be indicating that [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is raised up to some non-zero y, or in terms of complex numbers, t+ ai for some positive a. That is also not correct. [itex]\gamma1[/itex] is given as t+0i, not t+ some non-zero number times i. You should be showing [itex]\gamma1[/itex] running on the real axis, not above it.

4. Jan 4, 2009 #3

Got ya :smile:
    So it actually the half circle over there together with the diameter, this is my path.

Thanks a lot and also thank you for the English correction :smile:

5. Jan 4, 2009 #4

Well, the first part of the question ask me to find the integral in red (in the pic).
    Is it right what I did?

Attached Files:

6. Jan 4, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What you have is correct but this looks more like a problem where you are expected to evaluate the integral around the closed path by using Residues. The integrand has poles of order 1 at i, -i, 2i, and -2i, of which i and 2i are inside the closed path.

7. Jan 4, 2009 #6

Oh, yeah, you right, much easier.
    And the points that are outside of the closed path equals to 0, right?

Thanks a lot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook