1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the points closest to the origin

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the points [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2[/itex] that are closest to the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    Distance Formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to first solve this without using Lagrange Multipliers.

This is essentially an ellipse. So I first completed the square:

[itex]3/4\,{x}^{2}+ \left( y+1/2\,x \right) ^{2}=2[/itex]

I was thinking first I should separate [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], and use that in the distance formula, but I can't seem to isolate [itex]y[/itex], is my approach wrong?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't this be an equation?
    Where did the 2 come from? Are you starting with ##x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2##?

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    Yes, sorry. That was silly of me, I edited the original post to correct that error.

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4

Mark44

The equation y2 + xy + x2 - 2 = 0 is quadratic in y, so you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve for y. (You'll get two values with the ±, meaning there are two functions of x.)

Your problem is to find the minimum value of D(x) = √(x2 + y2). Here you will need to substitute for y from the previous work, making D really a function of x alone.

Alternatively, you could find the minimum value of D2(x) = x2 + y2, again making the substitutions for y. Since there are two functions, you'll need to do the work for both of them. I don't know if there is any symmetry you can exploit to save work. The graph is an ellipse, but one that has been rotated.

6. Apr 25, 2012 #5
    Thanks for that, I will look into it.

7. Apr 26, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As an alternative method, you could solve the problem as a constrained optimization, using a Lagrange multiplier approach. You want to minimize f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 (the square of the distance) subject to g(x,y) = 0, where g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + x*y-2.

RGV

8. Apr 26, 2012 #7

Mark44

In post #1 it says

9. Apr 26, 2012 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another option is to use polar coordinates. The equation of the ellipse becomes [itex]r^2(1+\sin\theta\cos\theta) = 2[/itex], where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the origin.

And that's a big enough hint at this point.

10. Apr 26, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I missed that remark about no Lagrange multipliers, although I cannot see why anyone would say "you cannot use such-and-such a technique". What's the point of that? However, the OP must live with it.

RGV

11. Apr 26, 2012 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's probably because the next part of the problem (not shown here) was to solve the same problem, but this time using Lagrange multipliers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook