Find the points closest to the origin

In summary: So the original problem without the multipliers is just a simpler version of the problem with the multipliers. Thanks for catching that.In summary, the problem is to find the points x^2 + xy + y^2 that are closest to the origin. The equation y2 + xy + x2 - 2 = 0 is quadratic in y, so you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve for y. Another option is to use polar coordinates.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Find the points [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2[/itex] that are closest to the origin.

Homework Equations

Distance Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to first solve this without using Lagrange Multipliers.

This is essentially an ellipse. So I first completed the square:

[itex]3/4\,{x}^{2}+ \left( y+1/2\,x \right) ^{2}=2[/itex]

I was thinking first I should separate [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], and use that in the distance formula, but I can't seem to isolate [itex]y[/itex], is my approach wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

Find the points [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2[/itex] that are closest to the origin.
Shouldn't this be an equation?
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Equations

Distance Formula

Where did the 2 come from? Are you starting with ##x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2##?
NewtonianAlch said:
I was thinking first I should separate [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], and use that in the distance formula, but I can't seem to isolate [itex]y[/itex], is my approach wrong?

Mark44 said:
Shouldn't this be an equation?
Where did the 2 come from? Are you starting with ##x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2##?

Yes, sorry. That was silly of me, I edited the original post to correct that error.

The equation y2 + xy + x2 - 2 = 0 is quadratic in y, so you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve for y. (You'll get two values with the ±, meaning there are two functions of x.)

Your problem is to find the minimum value of D(x) = √(x2 + y2). Here you will need to substitute for y from the previous work, making D really a function of x alone.

Alternatively, you could find the minimum value of D2(x) = x2 + y2, again making the substitutions for y. Since there are two functions, you'll need to do the work for both of them. I don't know if there is any symmetry you can exploit to save work. The graph is an ellipse, but one that has been rotated.

Thanks for that, I will look into it.

NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

Find the points [itex]x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2[/itex] that are closest to the origin.

Homework Equations

Distance Formula

As an alternative method, you could solve the problem as a constrained optimization, using a Lagrange multiplier approach. You want to minimize f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 (the square of the distance) subject to g(x,y) = 0, where g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + x*y-2.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
As an alternative method, you could solve the problem as a constrained optimization, using a Lagrange multiplier approach.
In post #1 it says

Ray Vickson said:
You want to minimize f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 (the square of the distance) subject to g(x,y) = 0, where g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + x*y-2.

Mark44 said:
The equation y2 + xy + x2 - 2 = 0 is quadratic in y, so you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve for y. (You'll get two values with the ±, meaning there are two functions of x.)
Another option is to use polar coordinates. The equation of the ellipse becomes [itex]r^2(1+\sin\theta\cos\theta) = 2[/itex], where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the origin.

And that's a big enough hint at this point.

Mark44 said:
In post #1 it says

I missed that remark about no Lagrange multipliers, although I cannot see why anyone would say "you cannot use such-and-such a technique". What's the point of that? However, the OP must live with it.

RGV

It's probably because the next part of the problem (not shown here) was to solve the same problem, but this time using Lagrange multipliers.

1. What is the meaning of "closest to the origin" in the context of finding points?

The origin refers to the point (0,0) on a coordinate plane. "Closest to the origin" means finding the points that have the shortest distance from the origin.

2. How do you calculate the distance between a point and the origin?

The distance between a point (x,y) and the origin (0,0) can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem:
distance = √(x² + y²).

3. What is the difference between "closest to the origin" and "farthest from the origin"?

"Closest to the origin" refers to finding the points with the shortest distance from the origin, while "farthest from the origin" means finding the points with the longest distance from the origin.

4. How do you find the points closest to the origin on a graph?

To find the points closest to the origin on a graph, you can plot the points and then measure the distance of each point from the origin using a ruler or use a formula to calculate the distance.

5. Why is finding the points closest to the origin important in science?

Finding the points closest to the origin is important in science because it can help us identify patterns and relationships in data. It can also be used to determine the center or origin of a system or to find the shortest distance between two points.