1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the position of equlibrium

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From the diagram below find the position of the man (##x##) if the system is in balance. Total length is ##L## and the man is distance ##x## from one end.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the system must be in balance if all the torque and all the forces equate to zero. That said i tried this:
    The left tension force i name ##T_1## and the right ##T_2##. And i take the right point as reference point.
    ##\sum M=T*L-mg\frac{L}{2}-Mg(L-x)=0##
    ##\sum F=T+F-(m+M)g=0##
    These equation i know but still cnat express ##x## as i have too many unknowns. Could i eliminate something here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Look at the force equation for the lower pulley and pick a smart reference point for your torque computation.

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    That force should equal the tension on the right, right? I picked a reference point to the right so it an be lost. Can you provide another hunt so i can see what you mean?

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4
    I think there is something wrong with your sum of forces equation.

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which force? There are three forces acting on that pulley.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted