Find the radius of each circular path

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the path of an electron shot diagonally into a magnetic field at a velocity of 2.5 x 10^5 m/s and an angle of 30 degrees. It is concluded that the only relevant information is the component of velocity perpendicular to the field, which is 1.25 x 10^5 m/s. However, it is noted that without information about the magnetic field, it is not possible to calculate the radius of the electron's circular path. The conversation ends with the observation that more information, such as the magnetic field strength, is needed in order to solve the problem.
Canuck269

Homework Statement

Determine the path of an electron if the electron was shot at 2.5 x 10^5 m/s diagonally into a magnetic field. Find the radius of each circular path.

The angle is 30 degrees.I think that if the velocity and field are in same direction there is no force...i think. So that means you only want the component perpendicular to the field. Which is 1.25 x 10^5 m/s

I just don't understand how you can find the radius if you are given no info about the magnetic field. F= qvB and F= m v^2/r So I tried putting that together but I still have 2 variables...

The question was listed as challenger :P So I don't think it's missing info.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need info about the B-field or some other observations about the path of the electron.

I would suggest using the equations you mentioned, F=qvB and F=mv^2/r, to solve for the radius of the circular path. The missing variable, magnetic field (B), can be found by using the angle given (30 degrees) and the fact that the force is perpendicular to both the velocity and the field. This can be done by using the trigonometric identity: sinθ = F/qvB. Once the magnetic field is determined, the radius can be calculated using the second equation: r=mv/sqrt(qB). Alternatively, you can also use the equation r=mv/sqrt(mF) since the mass of the electron is known. I hope this helps.

What is the formula for finding the radius of a circular path?

The formula for finding the radius of a circular path is r = C/2π, where r is the radius, C is the circumference, and π is a constant with a value of approximately 3.14.

How do I measure the circumference of a circular path?

To measure the circumference of a circular path, you can use a measuring tape or ruler and wrap it around the edge of the circle. Make sure to measure from the outer edge of the circle to the opposite outer edge, and use the formula C = 2πr to calculate the circumference.

Can I find the radius of a circular path if I only know the diameter?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circular path if you only know the diameter. The formula for this is r = d/2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter.

What units should I use when finding the radius of a circular path?

The units you use when finding the radius of a circular path will depend on the units used to measure the circumference. If the circumference is measured in meters, then the radius will also be in meters. It is important to keep the units consistent in your calculations.

Are there any real-world applications of finding the radius of a circular path?

Yes, finding the radius of a circular path is used in many real-world applications. For example, it is used in engineering to design circular structures such as bridges and tunnels. It is also used in astronomy to calculate the size and orbits of planets and other celestial bodies.