Solution to y+2y'+3y=sin(t)+δ(t-3∏); y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

• Thread starter Success
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution of a differential equation and using different methods such as Laplace Transform and characteristic equation to solve it. The discussion also includes using undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters to find a particular solution and finding the inverse of a function using partial fractions.
Success

Homework Statement

Find the solution of y"+2y'+3y=sin(t)+δ(t-3∏); y(0)=0, y'(0)=0.

Homework Equations

Here's the work:
s^2*Y(s)-s*y(0)-y'(0)+2(s*Y(s)-y(0))+3Y(s)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)
s^2*Y(s)+2sY(s)+3Y(s)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)
Y(s)(s^2+2s+3)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is y=(1/4)sin(t)-(1/4)cos(t)+(1/4)(e^(-t))(cos(sqrt(2)t))+(1/sqrt(2))(u3pi(t))(e^(-(t-3pi))(sin(sqrt(2))(t-3pi)

Physics news on Phys.org
Success said:

Homework Statement

Find the solution of y"+2y'+3y=sin(t)+δ(t-3∏); y(0)=0, y'(0)=0.

Homework Equations

Here's the work:
s^2*Y(s)-s*y(0)-y'(0)+2(s*Y(s)-y(0))+3Y(s)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)
s^2*Y(s)+2sY(s)+3Y(s)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)
Y(s)(s^2+2s+3)=1/(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)

Why stop there? What do you get for ##Y(s)?## Then where are you having trouble finding the inverse?

I know that you have to divide (s^2+3s+2) to the other side but I don't know what I'll get. Can you show me what I get for Y(s)?

Divide with (s^2+3s+2) then you might have to do a partial fraction decomposition so you can find the inverse.

But what's Y(s)?

Divide both sides with (s^2+3s+2)

Y(s)=1/(s^2+2s+3)(s^2+1)+e^(-3pi*s)/(s^2+2s+3)

But what's the inverse laplace transform of 1/((s^2+1)(s^2+2s+3))?

Success said:
But what's the inverse laplace transform of 1/((s^2+1)(s^2+2s+3))?

Do you remember partial fractions from calculus? Figure out ##A,B,C,D## to write$$
\frac 1 {(s^2+1)(s^2+2s+3)}=\frac {As+B}{s^2+1}+\frac {Cs+D}{s^2+2s+3}$$Then we can talk about the inverse.

Likes 1 person
Success said:
I know that you have to divide (s^2+3s+2) to the other side but I don't know what I'll get. Can you show me what I get for Y(s)?

Are you saying the algebra is too complicated for you?

Personally, I have always disliked the "Laplace Transform Method" (which is what you are using although you don't say that). Problems like this can always be done more simply just using the "characterstic equation" method (the "advantage" for engineers is that with the Laplace Transform, you can just apply formulas without having to think.)

Here, the corresponding homogeneous equation is y''+ 3y'+ 2y= 0 which has characteristic equation [itex]r^2+ 3r+ 2= (r+ 2)(r+ 1)= 0[/itex] and so has general solution [itex]y(x)= C_1e^{-t}+ C_2e^{-2t}[/itex].

Now we need only find a single function that satisfies the entire equation to add to that general solution to the homogeneous equation. I would be inclined to use "undetermined coefficients" but that requires knowing the general form of the function and you might not be familiar with the derivatives of that delta function.

So instead, I will use "variation of parameters". We seek a solution of the form [itex]y(t)= u(t)e^{-t}+ v(t)e^{-2t}[/itex]. There are, of course, many different choices for functions u(t) and v(t) that will work. Differentiating, [itex]y'(t)= u'(t)e^{-t}- u(t)e^{-t}+ v'(t)e^{-2t}- 2v(t)e^{-2t}[/itex]. We can narrow our search among those "many different choices" and simplify the equation by requiring that [itex]u'(t)e^{-t}+ v'(t)e^{-2t}= 0[/itex]. That leaves [itex]y'(t)= -u(t)e^{-t}- 2v(t)e^{-2t}[/itex].

Differentiating again, [itex]y''(t)= -u'(t)e^{-t}+ u(t)e^{-t}- 2v'(t)e^{-2t}+ 4v(t)e^{-2t}[/itex]. And putting those into the equation,
[tex]y''+ 3y'+ 2y= -u'(t)e^{-t}+ u(t)e^{-t}- 2v'(t)e^{-2t}+ 4v(t)e^{-2t}+ 3(u(t)e^{-t}- 2v(t)e^{-2t})+ 2(u(t)e^{-t}+ v(t)e^{-2t})[/tex]
[tex]= (-u'(t)e{-t}- 2v'(t)e^{-2t})+ u(t)(e^{-t}- 3e^{-t}+ 2e^{-t})+ v(4e^{-2t}- 6e^{-2t}+2)[/tex]
[tex]=-u'(t)e^{-t}- 2v'(t)e^{-2t}= sin(t)+ \delta(t- 3\pi)[/tex]
An equation involving only the two first derivatives of u and v (there are no second derivatives because of our requirement that [itex]u'(t)e^{-t}+ v'(t)e^{-2t}= 0[/itex] and no u and v themselves because [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-2t}[/itex] satisfy the homogeneous equation.)

Together with the required [itex]u'(t)e^{-t}+ v'(t)e^{-2t}= 0[/itex], that gives two equations we can solve algebraically for u' and v':

[itex]u'(t)e^{-t}+ v'(t)e^{-2t}= 0[/itex]
[itex]-u'(t)e^{-t}- 2v'(t)e^{-2t}= sin(t)+ \delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex]

An obvious first step is to add the two equations, eliminating u':
[itex]-v'e^{-2t}= sin(t)+ \delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex] so that [itex]v'= -e^{2t}sin(t)- e^{2t}\delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex]

"[/itex]-e^{2t}sin(t)[/itex] can be integrated "by parts" while the integral of [itex]-e^{2t}\delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex] is, of course, just [itex]-e^{6\pi}[/itex].

To find u(t), multiply the first equation by two and then add:
[itex]u'(t)e^{-t}= sin(t)+ \delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex] so that
[itex]u'= e^t sin(t)+ e^t \delta(t- 3\pi)[/itex]
and that can be integrated easily.

LCKurtz, how would you solve for A, B, C, D? I know it's (As+B)(s^2+2s+3)+(Cs+D)(s^2+1)=1, then you get As^3+2As^2+3As+Bs^2+2Bs+3B+Cs^3+Cs+Ds^2+D=1. But what's after that?

Never mind. I get it now.

LCKurtz said:
Do you remember partial fractions from calculus? Figure out ##A,B,C,D## to write$$
\frac 1 {(s^2+1)(s^2+2s+3)}=\frac {As+B}{s^2+1}+\frac {Cs+D}{s^2+2s+3}$$Then we can talk about the inverse.

@success: Before continuing, please show us what you got for your partial fraction decomposition.

1. What is the meaning of the equation y+2y'+3y=sin(t)+δ(t-3∏); y(0)=0, y'(0)=0?

This equation represents a differential equation, where y is the dependent variable and t is the independent variable. The equation describes the relationship between the rate of change of y (represented by y') and the value of y itself, as well as the impact of sin(t) and the Dirac delta function (δ) on y. The initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0 represent the values of y and its rate of change at t=0.

2. What is the purpose of the initial conditions in this equation?

The initial conditions help to determine the specific solution to the differential equation. They represent the starting values of y and y' at t=0, which are necessary to find a unique solution to the equation.

3. What is the role of the Dirac delta function in this equation?

The Dirac delta function represents a point impulse or a sudden change in the system. In this equation, δ(t-3∏) indicates a sudden change in the input signal at t=3∏, which affects the solution to the equation.

4. How can the solution to this equation be found?

The solution to this equation can be found by using various methods of solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or Laplace transforms. Additionally, computer software or numerical methods can also be used to approximate the solution.

5. What is the significance of this equation in the field of science?

This equation has many applications in different fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It describes the behavior of various systems, including electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. By solving this equation, scientists and researchers can gain a better understanding of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.