What is the Solution for Finding Ball's Speed at Impact and Maximum Height?

In summary, the boy throws a ball up and it has a maximum height of 25.1 meters and a speed of 22.2 meters when it passes the window on its way down.
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

A boy reaches out of a window and tosses a ball straight up with a speed of 10 m/s. The ball is 20 m above the ground as he releases it. Use energy to find:
1)The ball's maximum height above the ground.
2)The ball's speed as it passes the window on its way down.
3)The speed of impact on the ground.

Homework Equations

Etotal= PEi+KEi=PEf+KEf
Vf2-Vi2=2AD
KE=mv2
PE=mgy
hmax= v2/ 2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the first part and got it right by using the formula for hmax and got 5.1 ,and then added 20 m and got 25.1 meters which is correct.
For the second part I used vf2-vi2=2ad
and I got 10 m which is also correct.
I am having trouble finding the third one; I tried applying vf2 -vi2=2ad using 20 m and 25.1 m and both of them didn't work.
any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you through a body upwards, the body returns back to the point of projection with the velocity which is equal to the velocity of projection.

Then if it is the same as the point of projection it would be 10 m/s, and mastering physics is saying that is wrong.

If you show us how you went about calculating the last question, we can direct you to the problem.

Using [tex]v_{f}^{2}-v_{i}^{2}=2a\Delta y[/tex] where:
vf=final velocity
vi=initial velocity
a=acceleration due to gravity
[tex]\Delta y[/tex]=height above ground

Vf2-vi2=2ad
vf2=2ad
(I set vi=0 since it starting at hmax)
Vf= sqrt( 2*9.8*25.1)=22.2 m/s

Yes. I can, with almost certainty, tell you that this IS the correct answer and if the printed answer you are trying to achieve is well off this one you are getting, then you are right and the answer in the book is wrong.
Possibilities of error in your answer could be due to:
1) the question takes air resistance into account
2) gravity is something other than 9.8ms-2
3) Misread/misinterpreted the question.

What is "Find the Speed at Impact"?

"Find the Speed at Impact" is a scientific experiment or calculation used to determine the final velocity of an object at the moment of impact.

Why is it important to find the speed at impact?

Knowing the speed at impact can provide valuable information for understanding the dynamics of a collision or impact event. It can also help engineers design safer structures and vehicles, and aid in forensic investigations.

How is the speed at impact calculated?

The speed at impact can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves measuring the mass and velocity of the object before and after the impact, and using equations to solve for the final velocity.

What are the variables that can affect the speed at impact?

The speed at impact can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the object before impact, the angle of impact, and the nature of the collision (e.g. elastic or inelastic).

Can the speed at impact be measured in different units?

Yes, the speed at impact can be measured in various units such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or miles per hour (mph). It is important to use consistent units when calculating and comparing speeds at impact.