Find the thickness of Aluminium Foil

In summary, Patrick measures the foil length and width and then submerges it in water to measure displacement. He then calculates the area and multiplies the mass and density to come up with the thickness.
Turvey
This question comes from my Grade 11 Univ. Physics Teacher.

Problem: To as many significant figures as you can justify, determine the thickness of the aluminium foil.

1. Purpose
2. Procedure
3. Calculations (Significant Figures)
4. Conclucion

Now I know that the density of Aluminium is 2.7g/cm^3.

And I also know that the formula for cm^3 is Length X Width X Thickness.

So if i find the mass, multiply it by the density, and divide it by the length and the width, will I come out with the thickness?

He said there are many ways to do this and this is the only one I could come up with so any input or help would be much appreciated.

Regards;

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Fold some foil over and measure with a micrometre and divide by number of folds

Turvey said:
So if i find the mass, multiply it by the density, and divide it by the length and the width, will I come out with the thickness?
I am not a physicist but the answer seems to be yes.

As a check-up, you can submerge it in water and measure displacement. Then work backwards from volume to thickness.

If you perform both methods, then you can have a range (low estimate and high estimate).

NewScientist said:
Fold some foil over and measure with a micrometre and divide by number of folds

This was my first idea, but then he said there are many other ways so I was hoping to think of something to do that others would not.

Measure the foil length and width and then place it into a full measuring cylinder and collect the displaced water. You now have the volume of foil, the length and width and so can find thickness

Turvey said:
density=mass/volume, so volume = mass/density, not density*mass. :smile: Though you'll need a very accurate scale or a sizeable amount of foil to measure the mass accurately.

Well I just measured the foil and I came out with 2.7 grams.

Here is what I have so far:

Lenth: 30cm
Width: 21cm
Mass: 2.7g
Density: 2.7g/cm^3.

Am I missing any vital information?

Im sorry to ask for help with it comes to the forumla and such, but I'm really stuck on this one, been working on it for 2 days :P

I was told that you calculate the Area, (Length*Width*Height), then multiply together the Mass and the Density.

density=mass/volume, so volume = mass/density, not density*mass. Though you'll need a very accurate scale or a sizeable amount of foil to measure the mass accurately.

Ahh, I'm so confussled :(

*I got it. Thanks to all that helped, much appreciated :)*

Last edited:

1. How do you measure the thickness of Aluminium Foil?

To measure the thickness of Aluminium Foil, you will need a ruler or a micrometer. First, flatten the foil as much as possible and then place it on a flat surface. Use the ruler to measure the thickness in millimeters or micrometers. Alternatively, you can also use a micrometer for a more accurate measurement.

2. What is the average thickness of Aluminium Foil?

The average thickness of Aluminium Foil is around 0.2 to 0.3 millimeters or 200 to 300 micrometers. However, this can vary depending on the brand and type of foil. It is always best to measure the thickness of the specific foil you are using.

3. Can you use a ruler to measure the thickness of Aluminium Foil?

Yes, you can use a ruler to measure the thickness of Aluminium Foil. However, keep in mind that a ruler may not be as accurate as a micrometer. If you need a more precise measurement, it is recommended to use a micrometer instead.

4. How thick is heavy-duty Aluminium Foil?

Heavy-duty Aluminium Foil is usually thicker than regular Aluminium Foil. It can range from 0.3 to 0.4 millimeters or 300 to 400 micrometers. Again, the exact thickness will depend on the brand and type of foil.

5. Why is it important to know the thickness of Aluminium Foil?

Knowing the thickness of Aluminium Foil is important for various reasons. For one, it can help you determine the strength and durability of the foil. It can also help you calculate its weight, which is useful for packaging and shipping purposes. Additionally, knowing the thickness can also help you determine the appropriate uses for the foil.