Find total force resisting motion.

In summary, a boy and his bicycle with a combined mass of 45kg experiences a total force resisting motion of 5 N when traveling at 20km/h on a level road and ceasing to pedal, resulting in a decrease in speed to 16km/h in 10 seconds. The formula used to calculate this was final velocity - initial velocity / time = acceleration, which was then multiplied by the mass of the bicycle to find the force of resistance. The mistake in the calculations was not including brackets, resulting in a wrong answer initially.
Bananahat
A boy and his bicycle have a combined mass of 45kg. When traveling at 20km/h on a level road, he ceases to pedal and finds his speed reduced to 16km/h in 10 seconds. What is the total force resisting motion?

Thanks for reading! It should be easy for me but I just can't figure it out. If someone could please provide me with the calculations or formula that would be great!

I know the answer is 5 N, But have no idea how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about you start by posting some relevant formulas.
For example, there is something about a change in velocity with the time given, and something with a force... surely you can find some formulas in which they occur?

Thank you for the reply.
In fact I have found the answer, I had the right formula all along. I forgot to input brackets into my calculator, so I was getting the wrong answer. -_-

But here's my working out if anyone has a similar problem.
First I changed Km/h to m/s 20km/h = 5.55 16km/h = 4.44

I then used the equation: Final velocity = Initial velocity + Acceleration x time
Transformed that into :
Final velocity - Initial velocity / time = Acceleration

which is (4.44 - 5.55) / 10 = -.111 (negative acceleration)

Acceleration is also equal to Force\Mass. And that Force is then
.111 x 45 = 4.995 Newton! keep in mind the boy stopped peddling, thus the only force left was a resistant force. Hope that made sense.

1) What is meant by "total force resisting motion"?

Total force resisting motion refers to the sum of all the forces acting on an object that is in motion. These forces can be either balanced, resulting in no change in motion, or unbalanced, resulting in a change in motion.

2) How do you calculate the total force resisting motion?

The total force resisting motion can be calculated by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). This means that to find the total force, we need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

3) What are some examples of forces that can resist motion?

Some common examples of forces that can resist motion include friction, air resistance, and gravity. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects that are in contact with each other, while air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other.

4) Why is it important to consider the total force resisting motion?

It is important to consider the total force resisting motion because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. By knowing the total force, we can determine whether an object will continue to move at a constant speed, accelerate, or decelerate. This information is crucial for many scientific and engineering applications.

5) How can we reduce the total force resisting motion?

There are several ways to reduce the total force resisting motion. One way is to decrease the mass of the object, as the force is directly proportional to the mass. Another way is to reduce the acceleration of the object, which can be achieved by decreasing the applied force or increasing the friction between the object and its surroundings. Additionally, aerodynamic designs can help reduce air resistance and minimize the total force resisting motion.