1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find total force resisting motion.

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    A boy and his bicycle have a combined mass of 45kg. When traveling at 20km/h on a level road, he ceases to pedal and finds his speed reduced to 16km/h in 10 seconds. What is the total force resisting motion?

Thanks for reading! It should be easy for me but I just can't figure it out. If someone could please provide me with the calculations or formula that would be great!

I know the answer is 5 N, But have no idea how to get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about you start by posting some relevant formulas.
    For example, there is something about a change in velocity with the time given, and something with a force... surely you can find some formulas in which they occur?

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply.
    In fact I have found the answer, I had the right formula all along. I forgot to input brackets into my calculator, so I was getting the wrong answer. -_-

But here's my working out if anyone has a similar problem.
    First I changed Km/h to m/s 20km/h = 5.55 16km/h = 4.44

I then used the equation: Final velocity = Initial velocity + Acceleration x time
    Transformed that into :
    Final velocity - Initial velocity / time = Acceleration

which is (4.44 - 5.55) / 10 = -.111 (negative acceleration)

Acceleration is also equal to Force\Mass. And that Force is then
    .111 x 45 = 4.995 Newton! keep in mind the boy stopped peddling, thus the only force left was a resistant force. Hope that made sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook