Find v & a in complex plain

• Thread starter colgon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: My attempt at finding \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} and \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} is above, is this correct?Yes, your attempt at finding \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} and \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} looks correct.
colgon
1. A particle moves in the (x,y) plane so that its position (x,y) as a function of time is given by:

2. z=[tex]\frac{i+2t}{t-i}[/tex]

Find the magnitudes of its velocity and its accleration as functions of t by writing z in the x+iy form and so find x and y as functions of t.

3. I think

x=[tex]\frac{2t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1}[/tex]
and
y=[tex]\frac{3t}{t^{2}+1}[/tex]

I am not sure if these are correct and if so how to use them to find v and a. I thought if I could find mod z using these x and y this would give me this distance then divide through by t to get v but when I try this I don't get anything I can divide through by t and be simplifyable in anyway. I know the answers should be v=[tex]\frac{3}{t^{2}+1}[/tex] as this is found using [tex] \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex] but I am asked to verify this using x and y as functions of t.

Physics news on Phys.org
colgon said:
1. A particle moves in the (x,y) plane so that its position (x,y) as a function of time is given by:

2. z=[tex]\frac{i+2t}{t-i}[/tex]

Find the magnitudes of its velocity and its accleration as functions of t by writing z in the x+iy form and so find x and y as functions of t.

3. I think

x=[tex]\frac{2t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1}[/tex]
and
y=[tex]\frac{3t}{t^{2}+1}[/tex]

I am not sure if these are correct and if so how to use them to find v and a. I thought if I could find mod z using these x and y this would give me this distance then divide through by t to get v but when I try this I don't get anything I can divide through by t and be simplifyable in anyway. I know the answers should be v=[tex]\frac{3}{t^{2}+1}[/tex] as this is found using [tex] \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex] but I am asked to verify this using x and y as functions of t.
Instead of just giving your result, please show how you got it- that would relieve of us "guessing" exactly what you did! I presume that the first thing you did was multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator:
[tex]z=\frac{i+2t}{t-i}\frac{t+i}{t+i}= \frac{2t^2- 1+ i(3t)}{t^2+1}[/tex][/b]
[tex]= \frac{2t^2-1}{t^2+1}+ i\frac{-t}{t^2+1}[/tex]
Yes, x and y are what you say.

To find the v and a vectors (I presume you mean velocity and acceleration- it would have been better to say so) just differentiate them.

I want to verify first: You let [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{z}[/tex] be the position vector on x-y plane where [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{z}=\frac{2t+i}{t-i}[/tex]

Then you take [tex]\frac{2t+i}{t-i}.\frac{t+i}{t+i}=\frac{2t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1}+i\frac{3t}{t^{2}+1}[/tex]. You call [tex]x=\frac{2t^{2}-1}{t^{2}+1}[/tex] and [tex]y=i\frac{3t}{t^{2}+1}[/tex].

You don't get v by divid the position vector by t.

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}=\frac{\partial\stackrel{\rightarrow}{z}}{\partial t}=\hat{x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\hat{y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}=\frac{\partial\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I didn't really follow them totally. I had a go with the following results. I think I am missing something here?

[tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=\frac{(t^{2}+1)(4t)-(2t^{2}-1)(2t)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{4t^{3}+4t-4t^{3}+2t}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{6t}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=\frac{(t^{2}+1)(3)-(3t)(2t)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3t^{2}+3-6t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3-3t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3(1-t^{2})}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}= \frac{6t+3-3t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}=\frac{-3(t^{2}-2t-1)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

colgon said:
Thank you for the replies. I didn't really follow them totally. I had a go with the following results. I think I am missing something here?

[tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=\frac{(t^{2}+1)(4t)-(2t^{2}-1)(2t)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{4t^{3}+4t-4t^{3}+2t}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{6t}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=\frac{(t^{2}+1)(3)-(3t)(2t)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3t^{2}+3-6t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3-3t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{3(1-t^{2})}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}= \frac{6t+3-3t^{2}}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}=\frac{-3(t^{2}-2t-1)}{(t^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]

What you are showing here is not a complex number and is not the same as what we did.

1) For complex number, you separate the real part and the imaginary part totally. Your denominator is a complex number, so we multiply both the numerator and denomator by the complex conjugate of the denomator to make the denominator a real number.
2) Then you apply partial derivative of the real and imaginary part separately respect to t.

In you case, the denominator is (t-i), so we multiply with (t+i)/(t+i) to get the denominator to (t^2+1).

I understand about splitting the real and I am parts.

That is where I got x and y from. x being the real part, y being the I am part.

What I don't understand is how to apply partial derivitives to obtain the correct answer??

colgon said:
I understand about splitting the real and I am parts.

That is where I got x and y from. x being the real part, y being the I am part.

What I don't understand is how to apply partial derivitives to obtain the correct answer??

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}=\frac{\partial\stackrel{\rightarrow}{z}}{\partial t}=\hat{x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\hat{y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}=\frac{\partial\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}}{\partial t}[/tex]

From post #3, you get your x and y. Partial derivative is exactly like taking the derivatives, it just tell you the derivatives is only part of the total derivative.

My attempt at finding [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} and \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex] is above, is this correct?

What is a complex plane?

A complex plane is a mathematical concept that represents complex numbers as points on a 2-dimensional plane. It consists of a horizontal axis representing the real part of a complex number and a vertical axis representing the imaginary part.

How do you find the magnitude (v) of a complex number on a complex plane?

The magnitude, or absolute value, of a complex number is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. This can be represented as |a + bi| = √(a² + b²).

What is the process for finding the angle (a) of a complex number on a complex plane?

The angle of a complex number is found by taking the inverse tangent of the imaginary part divided by the real part. This can be represented as a = tan⁻¹(b/a).

Can a complex number have a negative magnitude or angle on a complex plane?

No, the magnitude of a complex number is always a positive value, and the angle is always measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis.

How do you graph a complex number on a complex plane?

To graph a complex number, plot the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The point where the two values intersect represents the complex number on the complex plane.