Find velocity given y and angle

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of Tarzan's speed at the bottom of a swing using conservation of energy. The correct equation was found to be KE + PE = KE + PE, where the mass was canceled out. The height was determined to be incorrect and the correct equation was found to be v^2 = 2gh. The final answer was determined to be v = 11.88 m/s if g = 9.8 m/s^2. The conversation also touched on the topic of mastering physics and the importance of never forgetting the principles learned in physics.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

Tarzan swings on a 34.0 m long vine initially inclined at an angle of 38.0° with the vertical.
(a) What is his speed at the bottom of the swing if he starts from rest?
(b) What is his speed at the bottom of the swing if he pushes off with a speed of 2.00 m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy, you know the height at which he starts, you know the height at the bottom of the swing. You know the initial speed for both cases. This should get you started. KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf

mandy9008 said:

Homework Statement

Tarzan swings on a 34.0 m long vine initially inclined at an angle of 38.0° with the vertical.
(a) What is his speed at the bottom of the swing if he starts from rest?
(b) What is his speed at the bottom of the swing if he pushes off with a speed of 2.00 m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not even know where to begin.

(1)Firstly draw freebody diagram. Consider how many forces acting on Tarzan.
(2) Use Newton's Second law then find acceleration.
(3) Find the length between tarzan initial and final condition.
(4) Find the velocity at the bottom.

KE + PE = KE + PE
mgh = 1/2 mv2
v2 = gh/2
v2 = (9.8 m/s2)(34m) / 2
v= 12.91 m/s

where does the angle come into play?
when i entered this answer, it told me that I was within 10% of the correct answer

See figure attached.

Attachments

• angle.JPG
    angle.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 494
basically find the change in height using trig... the length of the vine * cos(angle)

then you take the length and subtract what you found..
next find (mass)(9.81)(change in height)

equate that to 1/2mv^2

so take the answer, multiply by 2, divide by mass and then get the squareroot..

thats the velocity..

all this is is mgh=1/2mv^2 (Eg=Ek)

I don't know the mass though

mandy, if you write out KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf, you will notice a common term which can be canceled.

i just did the question.. ill post the solution.. scanning it atm..

mass cancels out.. are the answers 16 and 16.1m/s?

I did cancel out the mass when I solved this equation. Is this not the correct equation?

mandy9008 said:
KE + PE = KE + PE
mgh = 1/2 mv2
v2 = gh/2
v2 = (9.8 m/s2)(34m) / 2
v= 12.91 m/s

its not bc you're dividing by 2 when you should be multiplying.. you're also ignoring the angle and delta heighthttp://yfrog.com/6bscan0001yj

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5659/scan0001y.jpg

this is my solution..

Last edited by a moderator:
The equation is correct, and you canceled out the mass, but the height is not correct. Instead use delta h in the figure which i attached. Tarzan did not release from 0 degrees, therefore take this into account.

joshmdmd, you must be rather careful here. If the 38 degrees are measured from the x-axis like I have drawn then in order to obtain the y-component you must take the sine of the angle.

your eq'n should be v^2=2gh

wwshr87 said:
joshmdmd, you must be rather careful here. If the 38 degrees are measured from the x-axis like I have drawn then in order to obtain the y-component you must take the sine of the angle.

mmm

careful?

cos(90-38) = sin38

joshmdmd said:
mmm

careful?

cos(90-38) = sin38

oops.. i took theta in your drawing as 38.. =] you messed me up

Sorry for the confusion, just making sure you know what's going on.

here we go.. corrections to answer..

v=(SQRT)2gh
v=11.886m/s

b)
v=12.22

Josh, the answer in your scan is wrong. When i did it and got 12.91 m, it said that I was within 10% of the correct answer.

wwshr87 said:
Sorry for the confusion, just making sure you know what's going on.

its okay.
wasnt paying attn to the diagram .. as you can see i ripped yours in mine.

mandy9008 said:
Josh, the answer in your scan is wrong. When i did it and got 12.91 m, it said that I was within 10% of the correct answer.

read the second page =]

Are you guys doing mastering physics?

wwshr87 said:
Are you guys doing mastering physics?

if you mean uni for phys.. ima go to uft or waterloo for aerospace engineering/mechanical engineering.. I am currently gr 11.. writing gr 12 phys exam on friday.

joshmdmd, alright good luck. You seem to be on the right track by taking physics in high school.

Correct! :)

wwshr87 said:
joshmdmd, alright good luck. You seem to be on the right track by taking physics in high school.

thanks man, you mastering atm?

all the people in my class think ima idiot bc I am doing 11/12 phys this year and 11/12 chem next year.. lol.. they say ill forget phys before uni

I am about to begin a master's in electrical engineering. I think you are doing great you'll never totally forget this things.

wwshr87 said:
I am about to begin a master's in electrical engineering. I think you are doing great you'll never totally forget this things.

that means a lot bro.. have fun and enjoy yourself... schools always funner than work =]

Hello Mandy,

You may use law of conservation of energy to find the velocity at the bottom.

(delta) h= 34-34cos38

so you canget v=11.88 ms-1 if g= 9.8 ms-2

inky said:
Hello Mandy,

You may use law of conservation of energy to find the velocity at the bottom.

(delta) h= 34-34cos38

so you canget v=11.88 ms-1 if g= 9.8 ms-2

scroll up

This is a resolved question btw.. so you guys can close it.

1. What is the formula for finding velocity given y and angle?

The formula for finding velocity given y and angle is v = √(2gy)/sin(2θ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, y is the vertical displacement, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. How do I determine the angle of launch when finding velocity given y and angle?

To determine the angle of launch, you can use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) on both sides of the equation v = √(2gy)/sin(2θ). This will give you the value of 2θ, which you can then divide by 2 to find the angle of launch.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of projectile motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of projectile motion as long as the initial velocity is known and the only force acting on the object is gravity.

4. What units should be used for velocity, displacement, and angle in this formula?

The units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s), displacement should be in meters (m), and angle should be in radians (rad).

5. Is there a simpler way to find velocity given y and angle?

Yes, if the initial velocity is not known, you can use the formula v = √(gy)/sin(θ) to find the velocity. This formula assumes that the object is launched from ground level and the initial velocity is zero.