Find Who to Ask for REU Recs - Physics Student

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, when applying for research programs, it is best to have physics professors write letters of recommendation. As you progress in your physics program, you will have opportunities to get to know them well enough to ask for references. Other ways to build relationships with professors include volunteering in labs, joining clubs or teams with faculty mentors, and taking on student positions on committees. The letters of recommendation should highlight your fit for the position and showcase your work ethic, character, and passion for your studies.
lubuntu
I have been looking at research programs not for this summer but the next, most of them want a few letters of recommendation, however since I will still be pretty early in the physics program when I am applying who could I consider writing my letters of rec, does it have to be physics professors, what sort of information are they looking for from them with regards to an REU anyways?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally it's best to have professors write these. As you progress in physics, your classes will get smaller and smaller (depending on the size of your school) and there will be a chance that you'll get to know a few of them well enough to ask for reference letters. Other ways to get to know them include volunteer work in labs, or joining undergraduate clubs/societies or engineering teams with faculty mentors, or volunteering for student seats on committees when they come up.

They look for the same thing that anyone looks for from a reference in a hiring process. They want to know whether or not you're a good fit for the position. They want to know about your work ethic, your character, your passion for your studies, etc.

I understand the importance of letters of recommendation for research programs such as REUs. It is understandable that you may not have many physics professors to ask for letters of recommendation at this early stage in your program. In this case, I would suggest considering other professors or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential for research. This could include professors from other science or math courses, advisors, or even employers.

When asking for letters of recommendation, it is important to choose individuals who know you well and can speak to your strengths and potential as a researcher. They should also be able to provide specific examples and evidence of your skills and accomplishments. In terms of information that the REU programs may be looking for, they will likely want to know about your academic performance, research experience (if any), and any relevant skills or qualities that make you a strong candidate for their program.

It is also important to give your letter writers enough time to write a strong and personalized letter. I would recommend starting the process early and providing them with all the necessary information, such as your resume, research interests, and any specific requirements from the REU programs.

Overall, while it is ideal to have letters of recommendation from physics professors, it is not a requirement. Focus on choosing individuals who can provide a strong and personalized recommendation that highlights your potential as a researcher. Good luck with your REU applications!

Related to Find Who to Ask for REU Recs - Physics Student

1. How do I find potential recommenders for a physics REU?

The best way to find potential recommenders is to start by considering your professors or research advisors who are familiar with your work and can speak to your abilities and potential for research. You can also reach out to previous REU mentors or any other professionals in the field who know you well.

2. How many recommendation letters do I need for a physics REU application?

Most REU programs require two to three recommendation letters, but it's always best to check the specific requirements of the program you are applying to. It's also a good idea to have at least one letter from a physics professor or research advisor and one from a non-physics professor.

3. When should I ask for recommendation letters?

You should ask for recommendation letters at least 2-3 months before the application deadline to give your potential recommenders enough time to write and submit their letters. It's also important to ask for letters early to avoid any last-minute stress or delays.

4. How should I ask for a recommendation letter?

When asking for a recommendation letter, it's important to be polite and professional. You can either ask in person or through email, providing information about the program and deadline. It's also a good idea to provide your recommenders with your resume and personal statement to help them write a strong letter.

5. What should I do if a potential recommender declines my request?

If a potential recommender declines your request, don't panic. It's always a good idea to have a backup plan and reach out to other potential recommenders. You can also ask for feedback on why they declined and use that information to improve your future requests for recommendation letters.