Finding a Basis for V: Proving Linear Independence and Determining a Basis for V

• Thread starter misterau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, V is the space spanned by v1 = cos^2(x), v2 = sin^2(x), and v3 = cos(2x). However, since v3 is a linear combination of v1 and v2, it can be removed without removing any vectors in V. This means that v1 and v2 are a basis for V, as they are linearly independent and span the space. To span a space means that every vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the set of vectors.
misterau

Homework Statement

Let V be the vector space spanned by v1 = cos^2(x) , v2 = sin^2(x) , v3 = cos(2x) .
Show that
{v1 ,v2 ,v3} is not a basis for V , then find a basis for V .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(-1)*cos^2(x) + (1)*sin^2(x) + (1)*cos(2x)=0
{v1 ,v2 ,v3} is not linearly independent, so is not a basis for V.

I am not sure how to do the next part of the question, "find a basis for V" .
I am thinking its probably {v1,v2}. As v1 and v2 are linearly independent. However how do I show this set spans V?

Physics news on Phys.org
V is the space spanned by v1 = cos^2(x), v2 = sin^2(x), and v3 = cos(2x). Since cos(2x) is a linear combination of v1 and v2, we can remove v3 without removing any of the vectors in V.

What does it mean (i.e., the definition) to say a space is spanned by a set of vectors?

Mark44 said:
V is the space spanned by v1 = cos^2(x), v2 = sin^2(x), and v3 = cos(2x). Since cos(2x) is a linear combination of v1 and v2, we can remove v3 without removing any of the vectors in V.

What does it mean (i.e., the definition) to say a space is spanned by a set of vectors?

To span a space means that every vector in the space can be written as a linear combination in the set.

Write v (an arbitrary vector in V) as a linear combination of v1, v2, and v3 and then see if you can write v as a linear combination of just v1 and v2. Hint: v3 = v1-v2.

1. What is a basis for V?

A basis for V is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space V. This means that every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. Why is finding a basis important?

Finding a basis is important because it allows us to represent any vector in a vector space using a finite set of vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving vectors in that space.

3. How do you find a basis for V?

To find a basis for V, you can use a variety of methods such as the row reduction method, the null space method, or the spanning set method. These methods involve finding a set of linearly independent vectors that span V.

4. Is there only one possible basis for V?

No, there are infinitely many possible bases for a vector space V. This is because any set of linearly independent vectors that span V can be considered a basis for V.

5. Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. This is because a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space, and there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same vector space.