Finding a Basis and Dimension of Set W in R^4

In summary, the set W = {(a, 2a, b, 0) | a,b e R} is a subspace of R^4 with a basis of {(1,2,0,0),(0,0,1,0)} and a dimension of 2. This can be easily seen by expressing W as a linear combination of (1,2,0,0) and (0,0,1,0) and understanding that a spanning set for W must also be linearly independent.
chantella28
The set W={(a, 2a, b, 0)| a, b eR} is a subspace of R^4. Find a basis for W and find dimW

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a,2a,b,0) = a(1,2,0,0) + b(0,0,1,0).

At this point if you can't see what a possible answer is then you should review your notes.

i've been reading through the text, but I'm doing the course through correspondence so I don't have class notes

i am guessing from that though that dimW would be 2?

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that, sorry.

The set you have can be expressed as W = {a(1,2,0,0) + b(0,0,1,0) | a,b e R}. That's obtained just by factoring a and b, nothing special.

In this form, it is easy to see that W can be expressed as the span of the vectors (1,2,0,0) and (0,0,1,0). So any vector in W can be expressed as a linear combination of (1,2,0,0) and (0,0,1,0). So {(1,2,0,0),(0,0,1,0)} is a spanning set for W. Also, it is clear that the set is linearly independent. What can you say about a spanning set for W which is linearly independent?

Edit: You're correct about the dimension.

ah... it forms a basis... thanks for explaining this, i understand it now... wish my textbook would just explain it like that instead of getting into a whole bunch of mathematical proof stuff expecting us to figure out how to solve it from that

1. What is a basis and dimension of a set?

A basis of a set is a linearly independent set of vectors that can be used to span the entire set. The dimension of a set is the number of vectors in its basis. In other words, the basis and dimension of a set represent the minimum number of vectors needed to describe all the elements in the set.

2. How do you find the basis and dimension of a set in R^4?

To find the basis and dimension of a set in R^4, you need to first determine if the set is linearly independent. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients. If the set is linearly independent, then the basis will consist of the vectors in the set. The dimension of the set will be the number of vectors in the basis.

3. What is the importance of finding the basis and dimension of a set?

Knowing the basis and dimension of a set can be useful in many mathematical applications. For example, it can help determine the dimension of a vector space, which can be used to solve systems of linear equations. It can also be used to determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, which is important in understanding the properties of a set.

4. Can a set have more than one basis and dimension?

No, a set can only have one basis and dimension. This is because the basis and dimension of a set are unique properties that describe the set in the most efficient way. Therefore, any other set of vectors that can be used to span the same set will also have the same basis and dimension.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the basis and dimension of a set?

There are a few strategies that can be used to find the basis and dimension of a set. These include checking for linear independence, using matrix methods, and utilizing geometric interpretations in higher dimensions. However, there are no shortcuts or tricks that can guarantee the most efficient way to find the basis and dimension of a set. It ultimately depends on the specific set and its properties.