1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Basis

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    The set W={(a, 2a, b, 0)| a, b eR} is a subspace of R^4. Find a basis for W and find dimW

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2
    (a,2a,b,0) = a(1,2,0,0) + b(0,0,1,0).

At this point if you can't see what a possible answer is then you should review your notes.

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    i've been reading through the text, but i'm doing the course through correspondence so I dont have class notes

i am guessing from that though that dimW would be 2?

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4
    Oh ok, I wasn't aware of that, sorry.

The set you have can be expressed as W = {a(1,2,0,0) + b(0,0,1,0) | a,b e R}. That's obtained just by factoring a and b, nothing special.

In this form, it is easy to see that W can be expressed as the span of the vectors (1,2,0,0) and (0,0,1,0). So any vector in W can be expressed as a linear combination of (1,2,0,0) and (0,0,1,0). So {(1,2,0,0),(0,0,1,0)} is a spanning set for W. Also, it is clear that the set is linearly independent. What can you say about a spanning set for W which is linearly independent?

Edit: You're correct about the dimension.

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    ah... it forms a basis.... thanks for explaining this, i understand it now... wish my textbook would just explain it like that instead of getting into a whole bunch of mathematical proof stuff expecting us to figure out how to solve it from that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?