Finding a counter-example to an alleged set identity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to provide a counter-example for a problem involving sets. It is suggested to make a universal set with a few elements and try out different subsets until a working counter-example is found. It is also clarified that a universal set does not need to contain all possible elements in mathematics, but serves as a backdrop for set operations.
ainster31

Homework Statement

ee0FJf4.png

Question #2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a venn diagram for the left-hand side and the right-hand side and I can see that they're not equal but how do I provide a counter-example for this? Wouldn't a counter-example require an infinite number of elements?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can make a counter example with a finite number of elements, in fact I made a counterexample with U containing only a couple elements. I'd recommend just making U a set with a couple elements and then try out a couple of subsets A and B until you get something that works. It shouldn't take particularly long.

kduna said:
I'd recommend just making U a set with a couple elements

You can do this? I thought U had to contain all the elements possible in Mathematics? Why is it called a universal set then?

The problem states "A" universal set. Not "the" universal set, which wouldn't really make sense.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/UniversalSet.html

A set fixed within the framework of a theory and consisting of all objects considered in this theory.

ainster31 said:
You can do this? I thought U had to contain all the elements possible in Mathematics? Why is it called a universal set then?

You certainly can do this. The set is not called universal because it contains everything you could possibly think of mathematically. The term universal comes from the fact that we need to know that the sets A and B exist somewhere (in some universe) so that we have some backdrop to perform these set operations in. So we just say that A and B are subsets of some universal set U.

Try letting U = {1, 2, 3}.

1. What is a counter-example?

A counter-example is an example that disproves a statement or hypothesis. In the context of finding a counter-example to an alleged set identity, it is an example that shows the alleged set identity to be false.

2. Why is finding a counter-example important?

Finding a counter-example is important because it helps us identify and correct false statements or assumptions. In mathematics and science, it allows us to refine our understanding and theories by ruling out incorrect ideas.

3. How do you go about finding a counter-example to an alleged set identity?

To find a counter-example to an alleged set identity, you can start by assuming the identity is true and then trying to find a specific example that does not fit the criteria. You can also try to disprove the identity by using logical reasoning and properties of sets.

4. Can a counter-example be used to prove a set identity?

No, a counter-example cannot be used to prove a set identity. It can only disprove it. In order to prove a set identity, you must provide a logical proof that shows it to be true for all possible examples, rather than just one counter-example.

5. What should I do if I cannot find a counter-example to an alleged set identity?

If you cannot find a counter-example, it is possible that the alleged set identity is actually true. In this case, you can try to prove the identity using logical reasoning and properties of sets. If you are still unable to prove it, it may be necessary to reevaluate the identity or seek help from a colleague or expert in the field.