Vector Calculus - Tensor Identity Problem

In summary, vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector fields and their operations. The tensor identity problem arises when determining tensor transformations in different coordinate systems, but can be solved using covariant and contravariant transformations. Tensor identities are important in vector calculus for manipulating and analyzing tensors, and the field has practical applications in various industries such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.
mille2eo

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-7_18-43-21.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-12-7_18-43-51.png

upload_2016-12-7_18-45-54.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really lost here because our professor gave us no example problems leading up to the final exam and now we are expected to understand everything about vector calculus.

upload_2016-12-7_18-53-52.png

This is my attempt at the cross product and dot product written out. I don't know how to proceed to make the left hand side equal the right hand side.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the expression for the scalar product between two vectors ##\mathbf{a}## and ##\mathbf{b}##:
$$\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}=\sum_i a_i b_i $$

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a given space. It involves the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to analyze and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What is the tensor identity problem?

The tensor identity problem refers to the difficulty in determining the appropriate tensor transformation laws when working with coordinate systems. This problem arises because tensors, which are mathematical objects used to describe physical quantities in multiple dimensions, can have different components depending on the coordinate system used.

3. How is the tensor identity problem solved?

The tensor identity problem can be solved by using the concept of covariant and contravariant transformations, which are methods for converting between different coordinate systems. These transformations help to ensure that the components of a tensor remain consistent regardless of the coordinate system being used.

4. What is the significance of tensor identities in vector calculus?

Tensor identities are crucial in vector calculus as they allow for the manipulation and analysis of tensors in different coordinate systems. They also help to establish relationships between different tensors and simplify calculations in complex problems.

5. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields, and to solve optimization problems in engineering and economics. It is also used in computer graphics for creating realistic and dynamic 3D environments.