Finding a general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction

In summary: Yes, I can see that my formula is still valid as long as the equation holds for n = 1 and n = k+1.As long as the equation holds for n = 1 and n = k+1, my formula is still valid.Ahh so it's essentially a proof method thenI had given that a go and I do see that when n=1, it does give back the first order derivative that I found from beforeOkay, so if you differentiate that, do you get your formula for ##n = k+1##?Yes, I can see that my formula is still valid as long as the equation holds for n = 1 and n = k+1.
Bolter
Moved from technical math section, so missing the homework template
Summary:: Find a general formula for the nth derivative

Hi everyone!

How would I approach and answer a Q such as this

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 15.33.44.png

I began by rewriting the expression in a different form, then used chain rule to each given term

I tried to work out the 1st, 2nd and 3rd derivative in order to help me spot a pattern, so that it would help me find a general formula for the nth derivative. But I can't seem to notice too much.

The only thing I see is that signs alternate as you differentiate again and again, and that it has a common factor of 1/5 to take out

IMG_3702.JPG

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we take the 5 for granted (put it in front of brackets ##\ {1\over 5}(...)\ ## ) you have a generalization of the form $${d^n\over dx^n}= {1\over 5}\Bigl (\;A (x+1)^p + B (x-4)^q \;\Bigr ) $$ and you have to find A, B, p and q. Not so difficult, especially p and q :smile:

Likes Bolter
BvU said:
If we take the 5 for granted (put it in front of brackets ##\ {1\over 5}(...)\ ## ) you have a generalization of the form $${d^n\over dx^n}= {1\over 5}\Bigl (\;A (x+1)^p + B (x-4)^q \;\Bigr ) $$ and you have to find A, B, p and q. Not so difficult, especially p and q :smile:

Ok so I have come up with this now, following up from what you have shown

IMG_3703.JPG

I have multiplied my nth derivative my (-1)^n also, to account for the alternating sign changes
My p and q values must be -(n+1) from inspection

Although I still cannot what A and B values must be?
The only pattern that I can see now is that A & B get doubled then tripled then quadrupled then quintuple etc etc each time you differentiate the expression more and more

Does this involve something to do with factorials or I'm I mistaken here?

Likes BvU
You are not mistaken !

BvU said:
You are not mistaken !

Ok yes, so I have used that in my nth derivative and got this

IMG_3704.JPG

You can probably see that I redone the differentiation for first, second and third derivative, but this time I did not simplify the coefficients and this is what helped me realized that I had to use the factorial notation :smile:

I hope that is right nth derivative formula

Bolter said:
Ok yes, so I have used that in my nth derivative and got this

View attachment 255915
You can probably see that I redone the differentiation for first, second and third derivative, but this time I did not simplify the coefficients and this is what helped me realized that I had to use the factorial notation :smile:

I hope that is right nth derivative formula
One way to check the formula you have found is to use induction.

PeroK said:
One way to check the formula you have found is to use induction.

I would but I haven't come across to using induction yet :frown:

Bolter said:
I would but I haven't come across to using induction yet :frown:

There are two steps:

1) Show that your equation holds for n = 1 (possibly ##n=0## as well).

2) Show that if your equation holds for ##n = k## then it holds for ##n = k+1##.

Then you are done!

PeroK said:
There are two steps:

1) Show that your equation holds for n = 1 (possibly ##n=0## as well).

2) Show that if your equation holds for ##n = k## then it holds for ##n = k+1##.

Then you are done!

Ahh so it's essentially a proof method then

I had given that a go and I do see that when n=1, it does give back the first order derivative that I found from before

IMG_3705.JPG

Okay, so if you differentiate that, do you get your formula for ##n = k+1##?

1. What is a partial fraction?

A partial fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a fraction as a sum of simpler fractions. It is useful in integrating rational functions and solving differential equations.

2. Why is finding a general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction important?

Having a general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction allows us to easily find higher order derivatives without having to repeatedly apply the quotient rule. This can save time and effort in solving complex problems.

3. Is there a specific method for finding the general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction?

Yes, there is a systematic method called the Method of Undetermined Coefficients. This method involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown coefficients to find the general formula for the nth derivative.

4. Can the general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction be used for any partial fraction?

Yes, the general formula can be used for any partial fraction as long as the partial fraction can be expressed as a sum of simpler fractions.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as the Method of Partial Fractions and the Method of Integration by Parts. However, the Method of Undetermined Coefficients is the most commonly used and efficient method for finding the general formula for the nth derivative of a partial fraction.