Finding a period of a pendulum

In summary, finding the period of a pendulum involves measuring the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This can be done using a stopwatch and measuring the number of swings in a given time interval. The length of the pendulum and the force of gravity also play a role in determining the period. The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By understanding the factors that affect the period of a pendulum, one can accurately measure and predict its motion.
blueyedblonde

Homework Statement

Find the period of a pendulum with a length of 35 cm.

Homework Equations

I know that you can find period with the equation my teacher gave me: T(period in sec)=1/f(frequency in hertz) but that doesn't have anything to do with cm. I'm clueless on what equation to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to get 35cm to m so that's .35m. now i am stuck.

If someone could just give me a guideline and explain a little that would be nice. I don't exactly want an answer. I need to try that on my own.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello blueyedblonde

Try the formula here :
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/pend.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ap123 said:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/pend.html
This URL was not found
This is useless!

Hello @That_bitch,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

That_bitch said:
This URL was not found
This is useless!
The responses in this thread date back to 2013. It's quite possible that the HyperPhysics website has been modified a little bit over the past 8 or 9 years. This thread has pretty much ended. So if you have a question, I would suggest starting a new thread.

If you're looking for simple pendulum formula yourself, you could just google "Pendulum formula." It works pretty well these days.

If you really want the one from the HyperPhysics web site, you could google
"pendulum formula site:hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu"

If you're studying physics, there's got to be a formula for simple pendulum in your coursework or textbook. So that's another source.

If you're familiar with differential equations and small angle approximations ([itex] \sin \theta \approx \theta [/itex] for small [itex] \theta [/itex]) you could even derive the formula.

Likes BvU

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. How do you find the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one full swing, or one complete back-and-forth motion. It can be found by measuring the time it takes for the pendulum to complete 10 swings and dividing that time by 10.

3. Does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

Yes, the length of the pendulum does affect its period. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period, as it takes longer for the pendulum to swing back and forth due to the increased distance it needs to cover.

4. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. As long as the length and the angle of release remain constant, the period of a pendulum will always be the same, regardless of the mass of the weight at the end.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the period of a pendulum?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the period of a pendulum, such as air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and the amplitude of the swings. However, for a simple pendulum, these factors can be minimized and the period can still be accurately calculated.