Finding a plane given a line and plane ortogonal

• Thread starter the7joker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a plane containing a given line and perpendicular to a given plane. One approach is to find a vector perpendicular to both the line and the given plane, and use it to write the equation of the desired plane. The conversation also mentions using the scalar product rule and finding a single point in the plane.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Find a plane containing the line r(t) = <5,5,-1> + t<-6,-7,-7> and orthogonal to the plane -5 x + 5 y -2 z = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I...honestly have no idea where to even begin. I don't recall ever being taught how to find a plane given a line and the orthogonal plane. I know how to do it with three points and 1 point plus a line and two vectors...but not a line and an orthogonal plane...could someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here goes my best guess ( I'm sorry am new at this forum )

get the orthogonal plane and use it to express a vector ( -5i , 5j , -2k ) call it 'a'
then using the scalar product rule express the other vector r(t) = 'b' but make the line within 'b' hit a point in the plane. that is easy .. you may already know

since the formula is

cos thetha = (a·b) / |a||b|

if thetha = 0 then both planes will be orthogonal .. however this is my best fast guess, i know there will be someone who can help you better .. my response just quite sucks .. sorry

You should not have to be taught how to do every possible case! You were taught the definitions and that should be enough. If you can find a single point in the plane and its normal vector, you can write down the equation of the plane.

If a line is in a plane then its direction vector is perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane. If two planes perpendicular then their normal vectors are perpendicular. In order that the plane contain the line r(t) = <5,5,-1> + t<-6,-7,-7> and be perpendicular to the plane -5 x + 5 y -2 z = 1, its normal vector must be perpendicular to both <-6, -7, -7> and <-5, 5, -2>. You can find a vector perpendicular to both by taking the cross product of those two vectors. Of course, any point in the line (take t= 0, say) is a point in the plane.

What is meant by "finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal"?

Finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal refers to the process of determining the equation of a plane that is perpendicular to both a given line and a given plane in three-dimensional space.

What is the importance of finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal?

Finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately represent and analyze three-dimensional objects and their relationships.

What are the steps involved in finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal?

The steps involved in finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal include determining the direction vectors of the line and plane, finding the cross product of these vectors, and using this cross product to determine the coefficients of the plane's equation.

What are some applications of finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal?

Finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal has various applications, such as determining the intersection of a line and a plane, calculating the distance between a point and a plane, and creating 3D models and animations in computer graphics.

What are some tips for solving problems involving finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal?

Some tips for solving problems involving finding a plane given a line and plane orthogonal include making sure to accurately identify the direction vectors of the line and plane, being familiar with the cross product and its properties, and carefully setting up and solving the resulting equations.