Finding Inflection Points for a Quartic Equation

• Thread starter rachael
  • Start date
In summary, to find the quartic equation given three inflection points, you would take the second derivative of the equation y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e. The roots of this equation will show the inflection points of the original quartic. By plugging in the given intercepts, you can find the values of a, b, c, d, and e. Then, you can use the general form of a quartic equation to solve for the equation.
rachael
A quartic function has a equation y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e. Its graph cuts the x-axis at (-1,0) and (2,0). One of these intercepts is a stationary point if inflection. If the graph passes through (1,16), find a, b ,c, d and e.

First i started using y=k(x+a)(x+b)(x+c)(x+d)
then i sub in the x values in the equation
y=k(x-1)(x+2)(X-1)(x+2)
after i sub in (1,16)

is this how i suppose to do it? or it is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
rachael said:
A quartic function has a equation y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e. Its graph cuts the x-axis at (-1,0) and (2,0). One of these intercepts is a stationary point if inflection. If the graph passes through (1,16), find a, b ,c, d and e.

First i started using y=k(x+a)(x+b)(x+c)(x+d)
then i sub in the x values in the equation
y=k(x-1)(x+2)(X-1)(x+2)
after i sub in (1,16)

is this how i suppose to do it? or it is wrong?

Use the general form: y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e.

You know it passes through (-1,0) and (2,0) and (1,16). That gives you three equations for a,b,c,d,e. Do you recall what a stationary point of inflection point is? (Hint: What points do you look for when you are trying to sketch a graph using Calculus?) Plug in the x-intercepts one at a time and see what the resulting equations can tell you.

-Dan

thank you...

i'm in precalc but am doing a calc ia so could u please explain how to find a quartic given three inflection points only?

thinkgreen95 said:
i'm in precalc but am doing a calc ia so could u please explain how to find a quartic given three inflection points only?

start a new thread with the relevant information.

given that your quartic equation is y = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, to find the inflection points you take the second derivative, so you'd get y'' = 12ax^2 + 6bx + 2c. the roots of this equation show you the inflection points of the original quartic. you can factor the y'' equation (find its two roots). check around with both the original quartic given intercepts, and seeing which one matches the point of inflection.

What is a quartic equation?

A quartic equation is a polynomial equation of degree four, meaning that the highest exponent of the variable is four. It can be written in the form ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants.

How do you find the roots of a quartic equation?

The roots of a quartic equation can be found using the quadratic formula, but it involves solving a complex equation and is not practical. Another method is to use the Rational Root Theorem to find potential rational roots, and then use long division to reduce the equation to a quadratic form. Alternatively, you can use numerical methods such as the Newton-Raphson method.

What is the relationship between the coefficients and the roots of a quartic equation?

The coefficients of a quartic equation can provide information about the roots. For example, the sum of the roots is equal to -b/a, the product of the roots is equal to -e/a, and the sum of the products of the roots taken two at a time is equal to c/a. However, this only applies to equations with real roots.

Can all quartic equations be solved algebraically?

No, not all quartic equations can be solved algebraically. In fact, the general formula for solving a quartic equation using radicals is very complicated and not practical to use. Some quartic equations may also have complex roots, which cannot be expressed in terms of real numbers.

How are quartic equations used in real life?

Quartic equations are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, calculate maximum and minimum values, and optimize functions. In economics, quartic equations are used to analyze supply and demand curves and determine equilibrium points. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.