Finding a second point on a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding a point on a circle at a specific angle from a given point, with the use of a formula involving the dot product. The conversation also suggests shifting the center of the circle to the origin and then back to the original center after calculations.
chuckrussell
Hey, I have scoured the interned for an answer to this question, but so far my search has been uneventful.

Given a circle with center point (h,k), radius r, and a point on the circle (x,y), I need to find the point on the circle at angle a from (x,y).

Any thoughts?

attachment.php?attachmentid=32479&stc=1&d=1298482555.png

circle.png

Attached is a picture diagramming my dilemma

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi chuckrussell! welcome to pf! :smile:

hint: dot product :wink:

Not going to lie, after searching for days on the topic, a hint is of almost no help. I appreciate it all the same, but could you perhaps just give me a formula to use?

One way is

Shift the center of the circle to the origin.
Find the angle of (x,y) from the center using the inverse tangent function
Find the angle of (i,j)
Find i and j using sin and cos
Shift the center back to (h,k).

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about finding a second point on a circle. I understand the importance of accurately solving problems and the frustration that can come with a lack of available information.

To find a second point on a circle at a given angle, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. By using the coordinates of the center point and the radius of the circle, you can calculate the coordinates of the second point using the following formulas:

x' = h + r*cos(a)
y' = k + r*sin(a)

Where a is the angle you are looking for, and x' and y' are the coordinates of the second point on the circle.

I hope this helps you in your search for a solution. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck in your research!

Sincerely,

What is a circle?

A circle is a basic shape in geometry that is defined as a set of points that are equidistant from a central point, known as the center. It can also be described as a closed curve where all points on the curve are the same distance from the center.

How do I find a second point on a circle?

To find a second point on a circle, you can use the formula (x,y) = (r*cos(theta), r*sin(theta)), where r is the radius of the circle and theta is the angle in radians from the positive x-axis to the desired point on the circle. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the coordinates of the second point.

Can there be more than one second point on a circle?

Yes, there can be multiple second points on a circle. This is because a circle is a continuous curve and every point on the circumference is equidistant from the center. Therefore, there are an infinite number of points on a circle.

What is the importance of finding a second point on a circle?

Finding a second point on a circle is important in many geometric constructions and calculations. It helps in determining the circumference, area, and properties of a circle. It is also useful in creating tangents, chords, and other geometric shapes that intersect with the circle.

Are there any alternative methods for finding a second point on a circle?

Yes, besides using the formula or the Pythagorean theorem, you can also use graphical methods such as drawing the circle and measuring the distance from the center to the desired point. Additionally, you can use the angle inscribed in a semicircle theorem to find the coordinates of the second point.