Finding a State Vector for a Qubit with a Probability of +1 Measurement of 9/10

In summary, Homework Statement:Given a state vector |v> ∈ ℂ^2, find a qubit that takes a measurement δx with probability 9/10 to yield a +1 result.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find a state vector |v> ∈ ℂ^2 such that if a measurement of δx is made on a qubit in this state, then the prob. of obtaining the value of +1 in the measurement is 9/10. What is <δx> in this case?

Homework Equations

State Vectors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem seems somewhat simple to me, but I want to make sure I have the simple case down before moving forward.

We seek to find a state vector that when taking a x-hat measurement results in a prob(+1) = 9/10 and thus a prob(-1) = 1/10.

Therefore, if we let |v> = ( λ, μ ) then we know that prob(+1) = |λ+μ|^2/2 and prob(-1) = |λ-μ|^2/2
Since we know what these need to equal, it's clear to see that λ = 2/sqrt(5) and μ=1/sqrt(5) is a solution.

Thus, <δx> is calculated as |α|^2-|β|^2 where α = (λ+μ)/sqrt(2) and β = (λ-μ)/sqrt(2). So, <δx> = 8/10=4/5.

So, the state vector is thus 1/sqrt(5) (2,1).

My concern is that I am not understanding the correct definition of state vector? Does a state vector 'have' any requirements that I am missing?

Are my calculations correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A friendly bump for this question.

My main concern is the <δx>.

Thus, <δx> is calculated as |α|^2-|β|^2 where α = (λ+μ)/sqrt(2) and β = (λ-μ)/sqrt(2). So, <δx> = 8/10=4/5.

I did this same experiment for δy and got the same exact average of 4/5.

Okay, let me simplify what I am asking then:

So, the state vector is thus 1/sqrt(5) (2,1).

Is this a capable result? Does 2/sqrt(5) + 1/sqrt(5) need to equal 1? Or does it matter?

We see that if we square it, it does indeed equal 1, 4/5+1/5 = 1.

RJLiberator said:
Find a state vector |v> ∈ ℂ^2 such that if a measurement of δx is made on a qubit in this state, then the prob. of obtaining the value of +1 in the measurement is 9/10. What is <δx> in this case?
Is that correct: measurement of δx, not x?
RJLiberator said:
Is this a capable result? Does 2/sqrt(5) + 1/sqrt(5) need to equal 1? Or does it matter?

We see that if we square it, it does indeed equal 1, 4/5+1/5 = 1.
Most often, you want states to be normalized.

Likes RJLiberator
Most often, you want states to be normalized.

Hm...
First, my state vector is not normalized, correct?
Second, since you said 'most often' does that mean I should go find a normalized state vector or is my answer fine?

Is that correct: measurement of δx, not x?

With my notation of <δx> I am looking to find the average value. It should be defined as |α|^2-|β|^2

RJLiberator said:
Hm...
First, my state vector is not normalized, correct?
Second, since you said 'most often' does that mean I should go find a normalized state vector or is my answer fine?
Yes, your state vector is normalized, which is what you most probably want. My comment was only to clarify that state vectors don't have to be normalized, but most of the time people will expect them to be.

RJLiberator said:
With my notation of <δx> I am looking to find the average value. It should be defined as |α|^2-|β|^2
Then I don't understand the original problem:
RJLiberator said:
Find a state vector |v> ∈ ℂ^2 such that if a measurement of δx is made on a qubit in this state, then the prob. of obtaining the value of +1 in the measurement is 9/10.
This means that δx must be an observable. I don't see which operator it corresponds to.

Yes, your state vector is normalized, which is what you most probably want. My comment was only to clarify that state vectors don't have to be normalized, but most of the time people will expect them to be.

|v>|v> = 1 is the definition of normalized and so my vector is normalized? I understand! Thank you kindly.
Then I don't understand the original problem:

I wasn't sure of my calculation, it seems a bit too obvious. |α|^2 = prob(+1) and |β|^2 = prob(-1). If this is so, then it is obvious in the first 2 seconds of this problem that it is 9/10-1/10 = 4/5 since the probabilities must add up to 1.

The next question on my assignment asks me to repeat this process only with the y version instead of the x. The same situation occurs, 9/10-1/10-4/5 for the average value.

It 'feels' like I am misinterpreting something for it to be this simple.Once again, thank you kindly for your time, this is important for me to clarify and understand and its a difficult topic to discuss over a message board with such notation!

RJLiberator said:
|v>|v> = 1 is the definition of normalized and so my vector is normalized? I understand! Thank you kindly.
Not exactly: the norm of a state is ##\langle v | v \rangle##.

As for the rest, I just figured out what you mean: my problem is that you used the wrong symbol, and that confused me. When you write δx, you mean σx, one of the Pauli spin matrices, right?

In that case, let's see. If the state is
$$
| \psi \rangle = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}} | \alpha \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} | \beta \rangle
$$
what is the probability of measuring the system in state ##| \alpha \rangle##?

Likes RJLiberator
The probability of |α> is (2/sqrt(5)) ^2 so it would be 4/5.

The probability of |β> is thus 1/5

4/5+1/5 = 1 so that checks out.

Now using the average, we see that 4/5-1/5=3/5 as the average which is different compared to my value.

Your way seems to be more correct (via intuition), but when I look at my paper, I'm not sure how I messed up.

prob(+1) = |α|^2 = |λ+μ|^2/2 = 9/10. If we choose λ = 2/sqrt(5) and μ=1/sqrt(5) as the state vector this works out.

So, I guess, why are you using |α> to equal = 2/sqrt(5) instead of α = (λ+μ)/sqrt(2)?

This question should solve any errors.

Please accept my apologies. I was confused at the beginning by δx, and that lead me in the wrong direction.

You calculations in the OP are correct.

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you for taking the time to look through this. I greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards!

Related to Finding a State Vector for a Qubit with a Probability of +1 Measurement of 9/10

What is a state vector?

A state vector is a mathematical representation of the current state of a system. It includes all relevant variables and their values at a specific point in time.

How is a state vector used in probability?

In probability, a state vector is used to represent the different possible states of a system and their associated probabilities. It allows for the calculation of the probability of a system being in a specific state or transitioning between states.

What is the relationship between a state vector and a probability distribution?

A state vector and a probability distribution are closely related. A state vector contains all the information needed to determine the probability distribution of a system, and a probability distribution can be used to calculate the probabilities associated with each state in the state vector.

How do you calculate the probability of a specific state using a state vector?

To calculate the probability of a specific state using a state vector, you first need to determine the probability distribution of the system. Then, you can use the state vector to identify the probability associated with the desired state.

What is the significance of a state vector in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the state vector represents the quantum state of a system. This state vector evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, and it allows for the calculation of probabilities for different measurement outcomes.