1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration with circular motion

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Entrance and exit ramps for freeways are often circular stretches of road. As you go around one at a constant speed, you will experience a constant acceleration. Suppose you drive through an entrance ramp at a modest speed and your acceleration is 2.0 m/s2.

What will be the acceleration if you triple your speed?

Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

2. Relevant equations
    a = v2/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given that the initial acceleration is 2.0 m/s2, and a = v2/R...

I am not sure where to get started. R is not given, and v is not given. I know how to find a theoretically, but since I do not have concrete values to start with besides acceleration, I do not know where to begin.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2
    Try this with R = 50 m, and with whatever velocity you need to give you a = 2 m/s2. Now, if you triple v, what do you get for a?

Chet

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    You don't actually need any more information, as you wrote yourself in a circular motion a = v2/R. now imagine, R is constant (because you are in the same road), you triple the speed, what will happen to acceleration?

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4
    OK, I got it. Thanks all for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted