Finding amplitude of oscillation with only k, x, v, and a

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
PhizKid
Messages
477
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


An oscillating system of a block attached to a string where k = 400 at some time t has a position x of 0.1 m, velocity of -13.6 m/s, and accel. of -123 m/s^2. Find the amplitude of the motion. Do not use energy.


Homework Equations


x = Acos(wt + phi)
v = -Awsin(wt + phi)
a = -Aw^2cos(wt + phi)

The Attempt at a Solution


I can solve for omega by using sqrt(-a / x), we still have 3 unknowns A, t, and phi. We have 3 equations, but they are not linear equations so I don't know how to solve them simultaneously. What other method is there that I can use since I can't use energy?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhizKid! :smile:
PhizKid said:
x = Acos(wt + phi)
v = -Awsin(wt + phi)
a = -Aw^2cos(wt + phi)

substitute the given values for x v and a

then you have three linear equations …

start eliminating variables :wink:​
 
But these are trig functions. Doesn't this make the equations non-linear? I'm not sure how to eliminate variables that have trig functions in them.
 
treat cos(wt + phi) and sin(wt + phi) as being variables in their own right! :smile:
 
This doesn't work. When I simplify the equations for x and a, they are both identical:

alpha = cos(wt + phi)
beta = sin(wt + phi)

0.100 = A * alpha
0.100 = A * alpha
0.388 = A * beta

So it's really 2 equations with 3 unknowns... :(
 
There is an identity relating sin and cos. Use it.