Finding amplitude of oscillation with only k, x, v, and a

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the amplitude of an oscillating system using equations for position, velocity, and acceleration. The equations involve trigonometric functions, making it difficult to solve for all three unknowns simultaneously. The conversation suggests treating the trig functions as variables and using an identity to eliminate one of the unknowns.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

An oscillating system of a block attached to a string where k = 400 at some time t has a position x of 0.1 m, velocity of -13.6 m/s, and accel. of -123 m/s^2. Find the amplitude of the motion. Do not use energy.

Homework Equations

x = Acos(wt + phi)
v = -Awsin(wt + phi)
a = -Aw^2cos(wt + phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve for omega by using sqrt(-a / x), we still have 3 unknowns A, t, and phi. We have 3 equations, but they are not linear equations so I don't know how to solve them simultaneously. What other method is there that I can use since I can't use energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhizKid! :smile:
PhizKid said:
x = Acos(wt + phi)
v = -Awsin(wt + phi)
a = -Aw^2cos(wt + phi)

substitute the given values for x v and a

then you have three linear equations …

start eliminating variables :wink:

But these are trig functions. Doesn't this make the equations non-linear? I'm not sure how to eliminate variables that have trig functions in them.

treat cos(wt + phi) and sin(wt + phi) as being variables in their own right! :smile:

This doesn't work. When I simplify the equations for x and a, they are both identical:

alpha = cos(wt + phi)
beta = sin(wt + phi)

0.100 = A * alpha
0.100 = A * alpha
0.388 = A * beta

So it's really 2 equations with 3 unknowns... :(

There is an identity relating sin and cos. Use it.

What is the formula for finding the amplitude of oscillation with only k, x, v, and a?

The formula for finding the amplitude of oscillation with only k, x, v, and a is A = x / (k/m - v2/4m2).

What does k represent in the formula for finding the amplitude of oscillation?

In this formula, k represents the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It is measured in units of N/m.

How is the amplitude of oscillation related to the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillating object?

The amplitude of oscillation is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It is also inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant and the square root of the difference between the maximum potential energy and the maximum kinetic energy of the object.

Can the amplitude of oscillation be negative?

No, the amplitude of oscillation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

How does the amplitude of oscillation change if the spring constant or mass of the object is increased?

If the spring constant is increased, the amplitude of oscillation will decrease. If the mass of the object is increased, the amplitude of oscillation will also decrease. This is because a higher spring constant or mass will result in a stronger force opposing the oscillation, leading to a smaller amplitude.