Finding amplitude of oscillator

In summary, a 200g mass attached to a horizontal spring oscillates at a frequency of 2.0 Hz. The period is 0.5 seconds and the angular frequency is 4*pi. To solve for the amplitude, use the conservation of energy formula and the spring constant formula. The amplitude is the length extended when the spring is extended the most, and the spring constant can be obtained from T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k).
natasgan

Homework Statement

a 200g mass attached to a horizontal spring oscillates at a frequency of 2.0 Hz. At t=0s, the mass is at x=5.0 cm and has v=-30 cm/s. Determine:
a) period
b)angular frequency
c) AMPLITUDE

Homework Equations

x(t)=Acos(wt+psi)
v(t)=-Awsin(wt+psi)
w=2*pi*f
T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for the period=1/2 s
I have also solved for angular frequency=2*pi*2=4*pi
However, I am confused about solving for amplitude. I thought that I could plug in 0.05 m and 0s to the x(t) formula, but I do not know psi (phase constant) so I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
When solving for the amplitude, try using conservation of energy.

--> All energy in the system is potential energy when the spring is extended the most. (When the spring is extended the most, the length extended is the amplitude)

The spring constant you can get from

T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k)

The amplitude of an oscillator is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, the equilibrium position is at x=0, so the amplitude can be found by measuring the maximum displacement from x=0.

To find the amplitude, we can use the given information about the initial position and velocity of the mass.

At t=0s, the mass is at x=5.0 cm. This means that the amplitude is 5.0 cm, or 0.05 m.

Another way to find the amplitude is by using the equation for velocity: v(t)=-Awsin(wt+psi). At t=0s, v=-30 cm/s, so we can plug in these values and solve for A:

-30 cm/s=-A*4*pi*sin(0+psi)
-30 cm/s=-4*pi*A*sin(psi)
A=0.05 m

Therefore, the amplitude of the oscillator is 0.05 m.

1. What is the amplitude of an oscillator?

The amplitude of an oscillator is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position of the oscillating object. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the oscillation.

2. How is the amplitude of an oscillator measured?

The amplitude of an oscillator can be measured by recording the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position over one complete cycle of oscillation. This can be done using a ruler, motion sensor, or other measuring devices.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of an oscillator?

The amplitude of an oscillator can be affected by the initial energy input, the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the presence of damping forces. These factors can either increase or decrease the amplitude of the oscillator.

4. How does the amplitude of an oscillator change over time?

The amplitude of an oscillator can decrease over time due to the presence of damping forces, which dissipate the energy of the oscillation. However, in the absence of damping, the amplitude of an oscillator will remain constant over time.

5. What is the relationship between amplitude and frequency of an oscillator?

The amplitude and frequency of an oscillator are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of the oscillation increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the resonance curve.