1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an implicit, general solution to a homogeonous differential equation

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an implicit, general solution to:

dy/dx = (6x - 4y) / (x - y) with x > 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

dy/dx = (6x - 4y) / (x - y)

x(dv/dx) + v = (6 - 4v) / (1 - v)

[(1-v) / (v-3)(v-2)] dv = dx / x

[itex]\int dv/(v-2)[/itex] - 2[itex]\int dv/(v-3)[/itex] = [itex]\int dx/x[/itex]

ln|v-2| -2ln|v-3| + C[itex]_{1}[/itex] = ln|x| + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]

ln|v-2| -2ln|v-3|- ln|x| = C[itex]_{3}[/itex]

----

Not sure where to go from here, I'm trying to get it into the form

|y - ax| / (y - bx)^c = C, for some constants a, b, c, and C.

----

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The integration looks fine. Don't bother bringing everything to one side: you want to leave the function of x on the right, thus ln|v-2| - 2 ln|v-3| = ln|x| + C . Use the properties of logarithms to write the left-hand side as the logarithm of a single expression, then "exponentiate" both sides to eliminate the logarithms. You will have a function x(v) , from which point you could "back-substitute" for v . (I haven't checked yet to see whether this will be nicely-enough-behaved algebraically to get y(x) .)

EDIT: It isn't, but I see that you were only asked to find an implicit solution involving x and y . That would make sense: the absolute values in the result for v indicate that the solution is a curve which "fails the Vertical Line Test", so it must be split into parts, each of which is the curve for a function.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook