1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angular distance

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tennis player takes 3 preparatory swings, each swing travels through an arc of 140 degrees each way. At the 4th swing, the ball is struck and the swing travels 240 degrees. Calculate the total angular distance and angular displacement of the club.

2. Relevant equations

I have no clue, is it theta = d/r ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am so confused because all I am given is the arc and no radius. Is the angular distance in rads or meters? I can't seem to find the formula for this. I've taken physics and I know how to solve for angular velocity and angular acceleration but never did solve for angular distance. This is for my biomechanics class.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nsxviper! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Since you obviously understand the difference between angular velocity and ordinary velocity, and between angular acceleration and ordinary acceleration, just go with the flow :wink: … the difference between angular distance and ordinary distance is exactly the same. :smile:

a (tangential) = rα

v (tangential) = rω

s (tangential) = rθ

(and so, for example, if you've done the standard constant acceleration equations, v = u + at etc, you can apply them to constant angular acceleration, just substituting α for a, ω for v, and θ for s)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook