Finding arbitrary rate of change.

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of elevation for an object following a parametrized course on a glen with a defined hyperboloid. The rate of change can be found by differentiating the height function with respect to time, using the chain rule. There may be confusion between the terms "course" and "rate of change," but taking the derivative is the correct approach.
NutriGrainKiller
The problem states that there is a glen described by the hyperboloid Z = X^2 - 2Y^2 and defined over [-2,1]x[0,2]. An object follows the course defined by X(t) = cos(t)cos(2t) and Y(t) = sin(t)cos(2t).

I have to compute the rate of change of the elevation of the object with respect to time at arbitrary time t.

I graphed the function and found the critical points, saddle points, local/absolute max/mins etc.., then i graphed the course parametrically and it resembled a four-leafed rose.

rate of change makes me think of taking the derivative, but course makes me think of integration. which direction should i take? vague replies only please (as always) :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that [itex]z[/itex] is the elevation? The question is asking for a rate of change, so you want to differentiate (and my first sentence should be enough of a hint, if the assumption is correct). I am not sure why "course" made you think of integration :rolleyes:

The word course is referring to the parametrization of the curve

Data said:
I assume that [itex]z[/itex] is the elevation? The question is asking for a rate of change, so you want to differentiate (and my first sentence should be enough of a hint, if the assumption is correct). I am not sure why "course" made you think of integration :rolleyes:

because course = path, thought of doing a double integral setting the limits to the position functions of x and y.

That doesn't help at all.

Here's what the problem actually is. You have a mountain, with the height at (x,y) defined in the problem. There is a trail, that a person is going up, defined by the parametrization. So you want to find the rate of change in the trail's height based on the parametrization variable, t. How do we start?

First question:
Can you find the height of the trail at time t?

Second question:
Can you find the rate of change of that height?

Find [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]. This is an exercise in using the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of arbitrary rate of change?

The arbitrary rate of change is the change in a quantity over a specific period of time. It is not restricted to a specific time interval and can be calculated at any point along a curve or function.

2. How do you find the arbitrary rate of change?

To find the arbitrary rate of change, you need to choose two points on a curve or function and calculate the change in the quantity over the change in the independent variable between those two points.

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and arbitrary rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific time interval, while the arbitrary rate of change is calculated at a specific point. The average rate of change is also dependent on the time interval, whereas the arbitrary rate of change is not.

4. Why is it important to find the arbitrary rate of change?

Finding the arbitrary rate of change allows us to understand how a quantity is changing at a specific point on a curve or function. This information can be used to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a system.

5. Can the arbitrary rate of change be negative?

Yes, the arbitrary rate of change can be negative if the quantity is decreasing as the independent variable increases. This indicates a decrease in the quantity over time.