Finding asymptotes of parametric equations

In summary, the parametric equations have a y-intercept at pi/4 and do not have any x-intercepts or asymptotes.
fluppocinonys
Find the asymptotes of the parametric equations
29blged.gif

The graph looks like this:
qmOcE.jpg

My attempt:
4clfb.gif

Is my presentation correct? Do I also need to consider as x approaches 0 ?

The reasons I ask is because I couldn't find the asymptotes of
G0dMb.gif

if I use the above presentation...
Please guide me...
Thanks.

Attachments

• 29blged.gif
    29blged.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem looks fine, although you could have done it without solving for t in the first equation. Just look at what happens to x and y as x gets large or approaches zero. If x = 0, y = pi/4. All this is, is the y-intercept.

For the second problem, there aren't any asymptotes. As x --> infinity, x --> -infinity and y --> +infinity. As x --> -infinity, x --> -infinity and y --> -infinity. For intercepts, set x = 0 and solve for t, then substitute it into the other equation. That will give you the y-intercept(s). Set y = 0 and solve for t, then substitute it into the other equation, to get the x-intercepts(s).

1. What are asymptotes in parametric equations?

Asymptotes in parametric equations are lines that a curve approaches but never intersects. They can be horizontal, vertical, or diagonal, and are usually found at the "edges" of the curve.

2. How do you find the asymptotes of a parametric equation?

To find the asymptotes of a parametric equation, set the denominator of the equation equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the asymptotes. You can also graph the equation and visually identify the asymptotes.

3. Can parametric equations have more than one asymptote?

Yes, depending on the complexity of the equation, there can be multiple asymptotes. For example, a curve with a vertical and horizontal asymptote will have two asymptotes.

4. What is the significance of asymptotes in parametric equations?

Asymptotes help to define the behavior of a curve at its "edges" and provide valuable information about the shape of the curve. They also help in graphing and understanding the overall behavior of the equation.

5. Can asymptotes in parametric equations be at infinity?

Yes, asymptotes can be at infinity. This means that the curve approaches the asymptote infinitely close, but never actually reaches it. This is common in curves with diagonal or slanted asymptotes.