What is the process for finding net ionic equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find net ionic equations for various reactions involving Fe(NO3)3, Cr(NO3)3, Cu(NO3)2, AgNO3, Cr(OH)3, and Fe(OH)3 with NH3 and NaOH. The conversation also includes an attempt at writing balanced equations and breaking them up into ions, with some guidance and corrections provided.
Kitty808

Homework Statement

I need to find net ionic equations for:
-Fe(NO3)3 + NH3
-Cr(NO3)3 + NH3
-Cu(NO3)2 + NH3
-AgNO3 + NH3
-Cr(OH)3 + NaOH
-Fe(OH)3 +NaOH
and a whole bunch of other reactions.
I have no problem with writing the balanced equations but I get a little stuck on breaking things up into ions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first one would be:
Fe(NO3)3(aq) + 3NH3(aq) + 3H2O(l) --> Fe(OH)3(s) + 3NH4NO3(aq)
from there would it be:'
Fe(3+) + 3NO3(-) + 3NH2(-) + 3H(+) --> Fe(OH)3 + 3NH4(+) + 3NO3(-)?
I don't think this is correct because I think I need to end up with:
Fe(NO3)3(aq) + 3NH3(aq) --> Fe(OH)3(s)
but I'm not sure how to go about breaking things up so that the spectator ions cancel correctly. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start dissociating all salts.

Ammonia reacts with water producing NH4+ and OH-, but that's not necesarilly the most important reaction in some of the cases listed.

Ok, so let me make sure I'm getting these right...

-Fe(+3) + 3OH(-) --> Cr(OH)3
-Cr(+3) + 3OH(-) --> Fe(OH)3
-Cu(+3) + 2NH3 --> Cu(NH3)2(+3)
-Ag(+) + 6NH3 --> Ag(NH3)6(+)

am I on the right track with those?

Please recheck these equations. Charges are wrong, you are not listing states and you are transmuting metals.

What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the essential ions and molecules involved in a chemical reaction. It excludes spectator ions, which are present in solution but do not participate in the reaction.

How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify and cancel out spectator ions on both sides of the equation. The remaining ions and molecules are the essential components of the net ionic equation.

Why is writing a net ionic equation important?

Writing a net ionic equation is important because it allows us to focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place by removing extraneous information. It also helps to determine the moles of reactants and products involved in the reaction.

What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a solution but do not participate in a chemical reaction. They remain unchanged before and after the reaction takes place.

How do you identify spectator ions?

To identify spectator ions, first write out the balanced ionic equation for the reaction. Then, compare the ions present on both sides of the equation. Any ions that appear on both sides and do not undergo a change are spectator ions.