Finding centre of (moving) circle

• Thread starter sa1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinate of the center of a circle as a function of time. The equation for the circle is given and it is noted that the circle moves to the right at a rate of 't'. The solution is derived by rearranging the equation to the general form of a circle and completing the square. The final answer is (t, 0) as a function of time.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Find the co-ordinate of the centre of the following circle as a function of time:

x2+y2 = C + 2 t x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea..!

It's part of a fluid dynamics problem, which I don't need to explain here, other than to say I plotted it on Mathematica and can see that the circle moves to the right at a rate of 't'.

So the answer is : Centre of circle = (t, 0) as a function of time.

But I don't know how to get to that answer.

The only thing that I think might be helpful is to rearrange it into the form:

x(x-2t)+y2 = C

As this looks a little more like a circle and conforms a little bit to the (x-a)2+(y-b)2 = R2 idea.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:

Homework Statement

Find the co-ordinate of the centre of the following circle as a function of time:

x2+y2 = C + 2 t x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea..!

It's part of a fluid dynamics problem, which I don't need to explain here, other than to say I plotted it on Mathematica and can see that the circle moves to the right at a rate of 't'.

So the answer is : Centre of circle = (t, 0) as a function of time.

But I don't know how to get to that answer.

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried re-writing the equation of this circle in its general form?

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/geometry/circle/equation-of-a-circle.php

Likes sa1988
SteamKing said:
Have you tried re-writing the equation of this circle in its general form?

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/geometry/circle/equation-of-a-circle.php

Yep, sorry I just edited my post to add that.

I've rewritten it as

x(x-2t)+(y-0)2 = C

As this looks a little more like a circle and conforms a little bit to the (x-a)2+(y-b)2 = R2 idea.

But I'm not sure where to take it from there to be honest, or even if I've rewritten in properly...

It's that extra x in the 2tx term which is confusing me...

sa1988 said:
Yep, sorry I just edited my post to add that.

I've rewritten it as

x(x-2t)+(y-0)2 = C

But I'm not sure where to take it from there to be honest, or even if I've rewritten in properly...
No, this is still not the correct form of the equation.

You want (x - h)2 + (y - k)2 = R2

You might have to complete the square to obtain the necessary form of the equation.

Didn't you study conic sections in algebra class?

Likes sa1988
SteamKing said:
No, this is still not the correct form of the equation.

You want (x - h)2 + (y - k)2 = R2

You might have to complete the square to obtain the necessary form of the equation.

Didn't you study conic sections in algebra class?

Oh bugger, it's fantastically obvious now.

I'm actually halfway through a theoretical physics degree (!) so I'm putting my hands way up and admitting full, shameful ignorance here, although in my defence I've had no need to complete any squares for years. It just faded from memory, I guess. Time for some serious high school revision...!

:oops:

Thanks for the guidance :oldsmile:

sa1988 said:
Oh bugger, it's fantastically obvious now.

I'm actually halfway through a theoretical physics degree (!) so I'm putting my hands way up and admitting full, shameful ignorance here, although in my defence I've had no need to complete any squares for years. It just faded from memory, I guess. Time for some serious high school revision...!

:oops:

Thanks for the guidance :oldsmile:
You're welcome. Good luck on the physics degree.

FAQ: Finding centre of (moving) circle

1. How do you find the center of a moving circle?

The center of a moving circle can be found by first finding the coordinates of three points on the circle. Then, using the formula for finding the center of a circle given three points, the center point can be calculated.

2. Can the center of a moving circle change?

Yes, the center of a moving circle can change as the circle moves. As the coordinates of the circle's points change, the center point will also change.

3. What is the importance of finding the center of a moving circle?

Finding the center of a moving circle is important in understanding the motion and trajectory of the circle. It also allows for the calculation of other important properties of the circle, such as its radius and circumference.

4. Is it possible to find the center of a moving circle without knowing its radius?

Yes, it is possible to find the center of a moving circle without knowing its radius. This can be done by using the coordinates of three points on the circle and the formula for finding the center of a circle given three points.

5. How does the motion of the circle affect the location of its center?

The motion of the circle affects the location of its center as the coordinates of the circle's points change. The direction and speed of the motion will determine how much the center point moves and in which direction.

Back