Finding charge on sphere using energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge and work done on a metal sphere with a radius of 18 cm and then reducing it to 9 cm while maintaining a constant electric field. The equation for the amount of energy stored in a charged metal sphere is used to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions the need for careful reading and potentially using calculus to narrow down the solution.
need_aca_help

Homework Statement

a) What charge would need to be placed on a metal sphere such that the electric field produced stored a total of 50 J if the radius of the sphere was 18 cm?
b) How much work would need to be done to reduce the radius to 9 cm, assuming the sphere is (mechanically) easily compressible?

Homework Equations

V=(4/3)pi r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to tackle this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
How much work to get the first smallest bit of charge onto the sphere (from infinity)?
How about the next bit?
The bit after that?
... spot the pattern.

Either that or look up the equation for the amount of energy stored in a charged metal sphere.

Simon Bridge said:
How much work to get the first smallest bit of charge onto the sphere (from infinity)?
How about the next bit?
The bit after that?
... spot the pattern.

Either that or look up the equation for the amount of energy stored in a charged metal sphere.

I found this equation from the textbook.

u = 2keQ2 / R

Using this I get

50 = 2(9X109)Q2 / 0.18
0.18(50) = 2keQ2
Q2 = 9 / 2k
Q = square root (9 / 2(9X109)
Q = 2.23607 X 10-5
2.24X10-5 C

But this isn't right...

So how can you tell if it is the right equation?

i.e. read the book carefully: what exactly does it say this is the energy of?

Simon Bridge said:
So how can you tell if it is the right equation?

i.e. read the book carefully: what exactly does it say this is the energy of?

Energy stored by a charged sphere

need_aca_help said:
Energy stored by a charged sphere
... is that exactly what it says?

Not just what's written down - there is usually a diagram as well.

i.e. is the sphere uniformly charged? Is the charge distributed through the whole volume or just on the surface? Is the sphere a conductor or an insulator?

If you cannot narrow this down you will have to do some calculus.

Simon Bridge said:
... is that exactly what it says?

Not just what's written down - there is usually a diagram as well.

i.e. is the sphere uniformly charged? Is the charge distributed through the whole volume or just on the surface? Is the sphere a conductor or an insulator?

If you cannot narrow this down you will have to do some calculus.

I managed to solve the problem, using this equation:
E = 1/2QV
E = 1/2Q(kQ/r)

Well done ... more careful reading?

1. How is charge determined on a sphere using energy?

The charge on a sphere can be determined using the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total energy of the system (sphere and its surroundings) remains constant. By measuring the potential energy of the sphere at different distances from a fixed point, the charge can be calculated using the equation Q = k(R1-R2), where Q is the charge, k is the Coulomb constant, and R1 and R2 are the distances at which the potential energy is measured.

2. What is the Coulomb constant?

The Coulomb constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in electrostatics that relates the force between two point charges to their distance and magnitude. Its value is approximately equal to 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. Can the method for finding charge on a sphere using energy be applied to any type of sphere?

Yes, the method can be applied to any type of sphere, regardless of its size or composition. As long as the sphere has a well-defined surface and the charge is uniformly distributed on it, the method will yield an accurate result.

4. Is this method for finding charge on a sphere accurate?

Yes, this method is highly accurate. As long as the potential energy is measured accurately and the Coulomb constant is used correctly, the calculated charge will be very close to the actual value.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

The main limitation of this method is that it can only be applied to spheres with a uniform charge distribution. If the charge is not uniformly distributed, the calculated charge may not be accurate. Additionally, this method assumes that the sphere is isolated from other charges, as any external charges can affect the potential energy and thus, the calculated charge.