Finding COM, and inertia my answers don't make sense?

• Thread starter amyparker30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary: This would also be the CoM for a barbell consisting of two equal weights separated by a distance d. And that would be the CoM for a uniform rod of length d. Now for the moment of inertia ... First, what is the moment of inertia of one of these masses about the CoM of the barbell? It's just m(d/2)^2. Now we have two of them. I = 2[(d/2)^2]m = md^2/2. Finally, by the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia of the barbell about an axis halfway between the two CoMs and parallel to the CoM axis is the barbell's moment of
amyparker30
Finding COM, and inertia please help my answers don't make sense??

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of the object shown in the figure below?

LINK TO FIGURE:
http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r497/amy_parker1/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg

1. Find the center of mass of the object shown in the figure below.

2. Calculate the rotational inertia of the object about the x-axis.

3. From this value, deduce the rotational inertia of the object about an axis parallel to the x-axis, and going through the center of mass.

m1=2.5kg , m2=5kg, m3=2.5kg , m4=5kg

Homework Equations

COM

Inertia?

The Attempt at a Solution

my answers don't make sense

for COM I got 2

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi amyparker30! Where are your answers? Where is your working?

ok, my answers are totaly wrong but for COM 1 got (2(2.5+5+2.5+5))/15 = 2

ICOM=Rotational Inertia = 2^2(2.5+5+5+2.5) = 60

i bet these are 100% wrong what should I do, my teacher wouldn't help me and the people from class just skipped this question :(

Ok first you need to understand the COM formula and see how it works. Basically you need to specify a coordinate to tell where the COM is. That means you need to find the center of mass in the x direction, y direction, and z direction of the system or object.
So we start by separating everything in components( x, y and z). Let's do the x direction first.

We let [itex]d_{nx} [/itex] represent the distance in the x direction for each particle (n=1,2,3,4)
Then
[itex]X_{com} = \frac{m_2 d_{2x}+m_3 d_{3x} + m_1 d_{1x}+m_4 d_{4x}}{M}[/itex]
where M is the total mass. Note that
[itex]d_{2x}=d_{1x}=0[/itex]
and
[itex]d_{3x}=d_{4x}=2 m[/itex]

Similarly for y:
[itex] Y_{com} = \frac{m_2 d_{2y}+m_3 d_{3y} + m_1 d_{1y}+m_4 d_{4y}}{M}[/itex]
Note that
[itex]d_{2y}=d_{3y}=0[/itex]
[itex]d_{1y}=d_{4y} = 2 m[/itex]

Similarly for z:
[itex] Z_{com} = \frac{m_2 d_{2z}+m_3 d_{3z} + m_1 d_{1z}+m_4 d_{4z}}{M}[/itex]
But Note that
[itex]d_{1z} = d_{2z} = d_{3z} = d_{4z} = 0[/itex]
then
[itex]Z_{com} = 0[/itex]

Then at the end you get the COM to be at [itex](X_{com},Y_{com},Z_{com})[/itex]

Now try to plug in the numbers and see what you get. (Easy! =))

Do the same thing for the next part (moment of inertia), first understand the formula/equation and just follow it slowly.

Last edited:

I think the first part of this question would be a good one for a multiple choice test. :smile:

By symmetry, the CoM of the two equal masses m1 and m2 is mid-way between them. Likewise, the CoM of the equal mass pair m3 and m4 is mid-way between m3 and m4. And you wouldn't believe our luck :wink: but those two CoM locations coincide!
1OqIj.gif

So that surely must be the CoM for the 4 bodies.

1. How do you find the center of mass (COM) of an object?

The center of mass of an object can be found by using the formula: COM = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m represents the mass of each individual component and x represents the distance from the reference point.

2. Why is finding the center of mass important in physics?

Finding the center of mass is important in physics because it allows us to understand the overall motion and stability of an object. It also helps in calculating the forces acting on an object and predicting its behavior.

3. What is inertia and how is it related to the center of mass?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to the center of mass because the distribution of mass around the center of mass determines the object's resistance to rotational motion.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its center of mass?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its center of mass. Objects with irregular or asymmetrical shapes will have a center of mass that is not located at the geometrical center, whereas objects with symmetrical shapes will have a center of mass that is located at the geometrical center.

5. Can the center of mass of an object be outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass of an object can be located outside of the object if the object is not a uniform density or if there is an external force acting on the object. This can result in unstable or unusual motion for the object.