What are the critical points of a given function and how can they be solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the critical points of a function and solving its first derivative. The function provided is a 5th degree polynomial and the goal is to solve it without using a graphing calculator. The conversation also touches on factoring and the importance of understanding when a fraction is equal to 0.
Allasolid

Homework Statement

I need to find the critical points of this functionhttp://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP84719i6a1iabg11598d000049hhhie62iif1c81?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=140&h=46

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble solving the first derivative, which is http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP12919i6a079bg6ed96c00003ed60iee4d866bb3?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=39&w=493&h=48 . Well more specifically solving the 5th degree polynomial. It needs to be solved without using a graphing calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please write out the function/polynomial.

Use Latex or text with [ /sup] tags as appropriate. Remove the space between [ /sup when using the superscript tag.

Oh here's the derivative i need to solve -ex(3x5+x4-34x3+55x2+169x-216)/(x2-9)2

Allasolid said:

You should show the function itself as well. How do we know your derivative is correct?

RGV

Good point. Sorry I am new to this.

The function is (3x3+4x2-7x+17)/(ex(x2-9))

Allasolid said:
Good point. Sorry I'm new to this.

The function is (3x3+4x2-7x+17)/(ex(x2-9))

Allasolid said:
That derivative is correct.

Unfortunately, the polynomial in the numerator does not appear to factor easily. The denominator is factorable.

Ohhhhh so i now have (x+3)(x-3)(x+3)(x-3) in the denominator.. :/ sorry i don't see how that's suppose to help.

Unless it cancels things in the numerator (and you can check that by seeing if x= 3 or x= 3 will make the numerator equal to 0), factoring the denominator is irrelevant. A fraction, a/b, is equal to 0 only if a= 0. You don't need to worry about the denominator. It is also true that [itex]e^x[/itex] is never 0 so it all reduces to solving [itex]3x^5+ x^4- 34x^3+ 55x^2+ 169x- 216= 0[/itex].

What are critical points?

Critical points are points on a graph where the derivative is equal to 0 or undefined. They represent potential maximum or minimum points on a function.

How do you find critical points?

To find critical points, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then solve for the variable to find the x-values of the critical points.

What is the significance of critical points?

Critical points are important because they can help us find the minimum or maximum values of a function. They can also help us identify where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

Can a function have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. For example, a cubic function can have up to three critical points, while a quadratic function can have one critical point.

How do critical points relate to the shape of a graph?

The critical points can give us information about the shape of a graph. For example, if the derivative is positive at a critical point, the graph will be increasing at that point. If the derivative is negative, the graph will be decreasing at that point. A critical point with a derivative of 0 can indicate a maximum or minimum point.