Finding current in circuit using Kirchoff's Rules

In summary, the conversation was about a circuit problem and the equations used to solve it using Kirchhoff's Rules. The person encountered an issue with having a row of zeroes in their matrix and realized that they needed an extra equation, which could be obtained from one of the junctions. They also asked if they could equate the currents on either side of the batteries, which was confirmed as possible due to conservation of charge.
Zorba

Homework Statement

[URL]http://img25.imageshack.us/i/circuitj.jpg[/URL]
(Image won't show up, here's the link http://img25.imageshack.us/i/circuitj.jpg/)

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Junction & Potential rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

[URL]http://img29.imageshack.us/i/circuit2.jpg[/URL]
(Image won't show up, here's the link http://img29.imageshack.us/i/circuit2.jpg/)
Equations I get are:
(Loop1) [tex]-7I_2+4I_3 = 5[/tex]
(Loop2) [tex]-4I_2 - 2I_2 +2I_3 - 2I_4 = 8[/tex]
(Loop3) [tex]-6I_2 + 7.5I_3 - 2I_4 = 8[/tex]
(Loop4) [tex]-3I_2 - 4I_1 - 1.5I_3 = 5[/tex]

I made a matrix out of these then and row reduce them but, I don't have enough equations becuase I get a row of zeroes... which doesn't make sense to me, 4 equations, 4 unknowns and I don't see why applying Kirchoffs rules would make me end up with something like that... so I need to get another equation, but I was wondering if I've done wrong with the equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zorba said:
I made a matrix out of these then and row reduce them but, I don't have enough equations becuase I get a row of zeroes... which doesn't make sense to me, 4 equations, 4 unknowns and I don't see why applying Kirchoffs rules would make me end up with something like that... so I need to get another equation, but I was wondering if I've done wrong with the equations.

Hi Zorba! :smile:

There are 4 loops in your circuit, but only 3 of them are independent

so inevitably Kirchhoff (note the extra "h" :wink:) for one will be a linear sum of the others, which eventually reduces the matrix to zero! :biggrin:

Hint: yes you do need an extra equation, and you can get it from one of the junctions. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

There are 4 loops in your circuit, but only 3 of them are independent

so inevitably Kirchhoff (note the extra "h" :wink:) for one will be a linear sum of the others, which eventually reduces the matrix to zero! :biggrin:

Hint: yes you do need an extra equation, and you can get it from one of the junctions. :wink:

Thanks, makes sense.

One last question, the current on either side of the batteries, can I equate them? Or can I only do this when there is only one battery in the circuit.

Zorba said:
One last question, the current on either side of the batteries, can I equate them? Or can I only do this when there is only one battery in the circuit.

Yes, you can do this across any component …

basically it's because of conservation of charge … like water, the amount flowing in must equal the amount flowing out …

in terms of Kirchhoff's Rules you can look at a battery as a junction, with only two lines … the total current in those two lines must be the same! :biggrin:

1. What are Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules are principles that are used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits. They are named after Gustav Kirchoff, a German physicist, who developed them in the 19th century. These rules are based on the principles of conservation of charge and energy.

2. How do Kirchoff's Rules help in finding current in a circuit?

Kirchoff's Rules, specifically the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL), provide a systematic approach to solving complex circuits. KCL states that the sum of currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop. By applying these rules, we can determine the unknown currents in a circuit.

3. What is the difference between KCL and KVL?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) deals with the conservation of charge, while Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) deals with the conservation of energy. KCL is used to determine the unknown currents in a circuit, while KVL is used to determine the unknown voltages in a circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Rules be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Rules can be applied to any circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a complex circuit with multiple loops and branches. These rules are based on fundamental principles and can be applied to any circuit to determine the unknown values.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules assume that the circuit is in a steady-state, meaning that the currents and voltages are constant. They also assume that the circuit is linear, which means that the components in the circuit follow Ohm's Law. If these conditions are not met, Kirchoff's Rules may not provide accurate results.