Finding Dimensions of Cone with Surface Area 1 and Max Volume

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dimensions of a right circular cone with surface area 1 and maximum volume. The volume and surface area formulas for a cone are given, and the conversation includes a discussion about finding the derivative of the volume formula and setting it to zero to find the maximum volume. The conversation also includes a simplification of the derivative and a final check of the simplification.
skateza

Homework Statement

The volume of a right circular cone is V = [(pie)(r^2)(h)]/3 and it ssurface area is S = (pie)(r)(r^2+h^2)^(1/2), where r is the base radius and h is the height of the cone. Find the dimensions of the cone with surface area 1 and maximum volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only difficult part of this question is the math, because its quite difficult. I'm finding V' to be
[tex]\pi r[r+(4/\pi^2r^2)-4r^2]/6[(1/\pi^2r^2)-r^2][/tex]
Which i can't find any zero's for, can someone double check this?

Steps to finding the derivative:,
1) Set S equal to 1 and solve for h,
2) stuff h into volume and take derivate, unless you know of a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, but I get something simpler. After solving for h and plugging into V, simplify as much as possible before taking the derivative.

is this what you simplified it down to:
[tex]\sqrt{(1/9)r^2[1-\pi^2r^4]}[/tex].

If so, i got as a derivative:
[tex](1/2)[(1/9)r^2(1-\pi^2r^4)]^(-1/2) [(1/9)r^2(-4\pi r^3) + (1-\pi^2r^4)(2/9)\pi][/tex]
which doesn't simplify down much nicer...

You're missing an r in the last term, but that's it. You want to set this to zero, so you can cancel out everything not in square brackets, and then pull out common factors and cancel those too ...

Related to Finding Dimensions of Cone with Surface Area 1 and Max Volume

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cone?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cone is A = πr(r + √(h^2 + r^2)), where A is the surface area, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone.

3. How do I find the dimensions of a cone with a given surface area and maximum volume?

To find the dimensions of a cone with a given surface area and maximum volume, we can use the formula A = πr(r + √(h^2 + r^2)), where A is the surface area, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone. We can rearrange this formula to solve for h, and then substitute that value into the formula for volume (V = (1/3)πr^2h) to find the radius and height that will give us the maximum volume.

4. Can a cone have a surface area of 1 and a maximum volume?

Yes, a cone can have a surface area of 1 and a maximum volume. The surface area and volume can vary depending on the dimensions of the cone, but it is possible to find a cone with a surface area of 1 and a maximum volume.

5. What is the relationship between the surface area and volume of a cone?

The surface area and volume of a cone are related by the height and radius of the cone. As the height and/or radius increase, the surface area and volume will also increase. However, the relationship is not linear, as the volume increases at a faster rate than the surface area.