Finding direcitons of vectors - MIdterm is tomorrow.

In summary, when applying trigonometry to physics, it is important to understand the relationships between the tangent, sine, and cosine functions. In a right triangle, the cosine function relates to the x-direction and the sine function relates to the y-direction. However, this only applies when the reference angle indicates it. To use tangent, one must first determine the reference angle and then use the side adjacent to the angle over the side opposite of the angle. This can be useful when finding direction in vectors and angles.
MoreZitiPlease

Homework Statement

Im wondering about applying trigonometry to physics. Using the tangent, sin, and cosine stuff. WHen looking at a vector that makes a right triangle, how do I know when to use tangent,sin, or cosine?
I know cosine relates to the X and Sine relates to the Y. But how do I know about the others

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think part of your problem is you think x relates cosine and y relates to sine. That's only true when your reference angle says it is true.

I think the simple idea is that you have an angle and you form a right triangle. You then refer to the side directly across the triangle to be your velocity. Depending on where your angle is drawn you can infer some more information. For example, if your angle is drawn at the origin under the x = y line, then you have

Cosine = x/v
Sine = y/v

Analysis that. Since Cosine is your adjacent side over your hypotenuse, you see that x/v is cosine. Same logic for sine.

If your angle is above the x = y line then you can see that the angle adjacent to theta would be y not x, so now cosine = y/v and sine = x/v.

To use tangent would be used if you need to decide what your reference angle is, so you would use side adjacent to the angle over the side opposite of the angle, whatever that may be.

How do I use it to find direction

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction.

2. How do you find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found by using a compass or by calculating the angle between the vector and a reference axis.

3. What methods can be used to represent a vector?

Vectors can be represented graphically using arrows, algebraically using coordinates, or geometrically using components and angles.

4. Can the direction of a vector change?

Yes, the direction of a vector can change if it is acted upon by a force or if the reference frame is changed.

5. How is the magnitude and direction of a vector related?

The magnitude and direction of a vector are related by trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to calculate the direction of a vector from its components.