• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding direction of Vector

• Thread starter sycho2
  • Start date
The question is find the resultant of the vectors shown in the figure below. (Take a = 20.8°, b = 54.0° and c = 29.7°.)

I got the resultant vector to be 1.9units, it also tells me to find the direction counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. I'm not sure how to do that, is it asking me the degrees? I'm just confused what the question is asking for.

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The question is find the resultant of the vectors shown in the figure below. (Take a = 20.8°, b = 54.0° and c = 29.7°.)

I got the resultant vector to be 1.9units, it also tells me to find the direction counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. I'm not sure how to do that, is it asking me the degrees? I'm just confused what the question is asking for.
Yes, once you find the magnitude of the resultant vector, usually by using trig to find the x and y components of each vector, summing those components into the Rx and Ry components of the resultant, then the angle of the resultant vector is the angle whose tangent is Ry/Rx. Be sure to draw a rough graphical sketch, and properly detrmine its angle as measured ccw from the positive x axis.

Um, what "figure below"?