Finding distance for a given value between vectors

Have a good day.In summary, the distance between two vectors u = (2,k,1,-4) and v = (3,-1,6,-3) can be calculated using the equation d(u,v) = √((u1-v1)^2 + (u2-v2)^2 + (u3-v3)^2 + (u4-v4)^2). By substituting the given values, the distance can be simplified to d(u,v) = √(k^2 + 2k + 48). Solving for d(u,v) = 6, we get two possible solutions for k: √2 and -√8.
Lanniakea

Homework Statement

Let u = (2,k,1,-4) and v = (3,-1,6,-3)

For which values of k is the distance d(u,v) = 6?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

6 = √((3-2)2 + (-1-k)2 + (6-1)2 + (-3-4)2)
6 = √(1 + 1 + k2 + 25 + 21)
6 = √(k2 + 48)
36 = k2 + 48
k = √-12

The answers seem to be 6k, -16k and -k or k= 2 and -4 (the answer sheet makes no sense and is mislabeled and unorganized horrifically) and I don't even have a remote idea how to get multiple solutions. I suppose my whole approach is wrong and I can't for the life of me understand what to do (I'm working without any textbooks)

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Lanniakea said:

Homework Statement

Let u = (2,k,1,-4) and v = (3,-1,6,-3)

For which values of k is the distance d(u,v) = 6?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

6 = √((3-2)2 + (-1-k)2 + (6-1)2 + (-3-4)2)
6 = √(1 + 1 + k2 + 25 + 21)
6 = √(k2 + 48)
36 = k2 + 48
k = √-12

The answers seem to be 6k, -16k and -k or k= 2 and -4 (the answer sheet makes no sense and is mislabeled and unorganized horrifically) and I don't even have a remote idea how to get multiple solutions. I suppose my whole approach is wrong and I can't for the life of me understand what to do (I'm working without any textbooks)

Kind regards

Remember that ##d(u,v) = ||u-v|| = \sqrt{(u_1-v_1)^2+(u_2-v_2)^2 ... + (u_n - v_n)^2}##, so you're on the right track. Recheck your math.

Student100 said:
Remember that ##d(u,v) = ||u-v|| = \sqrt{(u_1-v_1)^2+(u_2-v_2)^2 ... + (u_n - v_n)^2}##, so you're on the right track. Recheck your math.

I redid the working (both d(u,v) and d(v,u) which turn out to be the same so it seems correct this time) and get k = √8

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, can you specify where my mistake is? I have a lot more work to catch up on and I'm struggling with the basics...

and by ||u−v|| does this mean the two magnitudes?

So I could solve it by 6 = √(k2+21) - √(55) which gives me k = √2 which is also obviously wrong.

What exactly is my mistake? Am I messing up +/- signs somewhere?

Lanniakea said:
I redid the working (both d(u,v) and d(v,u) which turn out to be the same so it seems correct this time) and get k = √8

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, can you specify where my mistake is? I have a lot more work to catch up on and I'm struggling with the basics...

and by ||u−v|| does this mean the two magnitudes?

So I could solve it by 6 = √(k2+21) - √(55) which gives me k = √2 which is also obviously wrong.

What exactly is my mistake? Am I messing up +/- signs somewhere?

Your first expansion in the original problem description was wrong, you will get a quadratic which has two solutions.

||u-v|| means the length of some new vector ##\vec{r}## that is the resultant from the vector operation ##\vec{u}-\vec{v}##

My hint is that the expansion of say ##(k+1)^2## is ##(k^2+2k+1)##, not what you're doing. Or ##(k+1)(k+1)=(k+1)^2##

Likes Lanniakea
Student100 said:
Your first expansion in the original problem description was wrong, you will get a quadratic which has two solutions.

||u-v|| means the length of some new vector ##\vec{r}## that is the resultant from the vector operation ##\vec{u}-\vec{v}##

My hint is that the expansion of say ##(k+1)^2## is ##(k^2+2k+1)##, not what you're doing. Or ##(k+1)(k+1)=(k+1)^2##

Ah I haven't done any maths in so long I had even forgotten basic factorization, I also thought that (k+1)2 = k2 + 12 for some reason, what a sin of a mistake! Thank you very much my friend.

Likes Student100

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between two vectors?

The formula for finding the distance between two vectors is the magnitude of the difference between the two vectors, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What is the significance of finding the distance between two vectors?

Finding the distance between two vectors is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, as it helps us measure the length of a displacement or the magnitude of a force.

3. How do you calculate the distance between two vectors using their components?

To calculate the distance between two vectors using their components, you first need to find the difference between the corresponding components of the two vectors. Then, square each of the differences, add them together, and take the square root of the sum.

4. Can the distance between two vectors be negative?

No, the distance between two vectors cannot be negative as it represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value.

5. How does finding the distance between two vectors relate to vector operations?

Finding the distance between two vectors is closely related to vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, as it involves calculating the difference between the vectors' components. It is also necessary for vector multiplication and division in certain cases.