Calculating Distance from Constant Force: A Kinematics Problem

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 72.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The block starts from rest and moves a distance of 10.0m in a time of 4.50s. The frictional force is negligible. To find the distance the block moves in the next 5.70s, we need to first find the velocity at the end of 4.50s. Using the equation v = at and plugging in 72.0N for force and 4.50s for time, we get a velocity of 0.987654321 m/s. Then, using the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1
magnifik

Homework Statement

A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 72.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 10.0m in a time 4.50s. If the worker stops pushing at the end of 4.50 , how far does the block move in the next 5.70s?

Homework Equations

v = at
x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized this is only a kinematics problem, but I keep getting the wrong answer. I got 32.1m, but the answer is 25.3m. I did v=at, plugging in 0.987654321*5.70 then multiplied this answer by 5.70. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing. Unless you made a mistake in typing the question out, your answer is correct.

Weird. I copied & pasted the exact question from the website. Stupid MasteringPhysics -____-

I did v=at, plugging in 0.987654321*5.70
You have to find the velocity at the end of 4.5s.

Oops, I somehow missed that too. Sorry magnifik!

1. How do you calculate distance from force?

The distance from force can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the force by the strength of the force. This will give you the distance in meters (m).

2. What is the relationship between force and distance?

The relationship between force and distance is inversely proportional. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can you find distance from force without knowing the force's direction?

No, in order to accurately calculate distance from force, you must know both the magnitude and direction of the force.

4. Is there a formula for finding distance from force?

Yes, the formula for finding distance from force is: distance = force magnitude / force strength.

5. How is distance from force used in real-world applications?

Distance from force is used in many real-world applications, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the force required for an object to move a certain distance, and measuring the displacement of a spring or elastic material.