1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance of a block with an unattached spring

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1
    1. A 9 kg block is pushed by an external force against a spring with spring constant 118 N/m until the spring is compressed by 2.1 m from its uncompressed length (x= 0). The block rests on a horizontal plane that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.67 but is NOT attached to the spring. After all the external forces are removed (so the compressed spring releases the mass) how far D along the plane will the block move before coming to a stop? The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

2. Relevant equations
    U=1/2kx^2
    KE= 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

If i'm not mistaken, I have to use one of the acceleration formulas,but first i have to find the velocity of the block with the kinetic energy formula

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suggest using energy methods to solve this.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #3
    so, i just use KE and U? and how will it be then?

5. Jul 5, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Don't forget the work done against friction.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #5
    so then it will be, KE+U-W=Total Energy ?

7. Jul 5, 2013 #6

Doc Al

I'd put it this way. At any moment, the total mechanical energy = KE + U. The change in the total mechanical energy will equal the work done by friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted