Finding distance of a block with an unattached spring

In summary, a 9 kg block is compressed against a spring with spring constant 118 N/m by an external force until the spring is compressed by 2.1 m. The block is then released and moves along a horizontal plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.67. The question is how far the block will move on the plane before coming to a stop. This can be solved using energy methods, considering the total mechanical energy, kinetic energy, potential energy of the spring, and work done by friction. The change in the total mechanical energy will equal the work done by friction.
Robertoalva
1. A 9 kg block is pushed by an external force against a spring with spring constant 118 N/m until the spring is compressed by 2.1 m from its uncompressed length (x= 0). The block rests on a horizontal plane that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.67 but is NOT attached to the spring. After all the external forces are removed (so the compressed spring releases the mass) how far D along the plane will the block move before coming to a stop? The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

U=1/2kx^2
KE= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm not mistaken, I have to use one of the acceleration formulas,but first i have to find the velocity of the block with the kinetic energy formula

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest using energy methods to solve this.

so, i just use KE and U? and how will it be then?

Robertoalva said:
so, i just use KE and U?
Don't forget the work done against friction.

so then it will be, KE+U-W=Total Energy ?

Robertoalva said:
so then it will be, KE+U-W=Total Energy ?
I'd put it this way. At any moment, the total mechanical energy = KE + U. The change in the total mechanical energy will equal the work done by friction.

1. How do you find the distance of a block with an unattached spring?

The distance of a block with an unattached spring can be found by measuring the displacement of the spring when the block is placed on it. This can be done by comparing the length of the spring when it is at rest to its length when the block is added.

2. What equipment is needed to find the distance of a block with an unattached spring?

To find the distance of a block with an unattached spring, you will need a spring, a ruler or measuring tape, and a block. You may also need a flat surface to place the spring on and a weight to place on the block if necessary.

3. How does the spring constant affect the distance of the block?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, will determine how much the spring will stretch when the block is added. A higher spring constant will result in a smaller distance, while a lower spring constant will result in a larger distance.

4. Can the distance of the block with an unattached spring be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the distance of the block with an unattached spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the distance a spring will stretch is directly proportional to the force applied to it. The equation is written as F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance of stretch.

5. How can the accuracy of the measurement be improved?

To improve the accuracy of the measurement, it is important to ensure that the spring is placed on a flat surface and that the block is placed evenly on the spring. It may also be helpful to take multiple measurements and calculate an average. Using a more precise measuring tool, such as a digital ruler, can also improve accuracy.