Distance Calculations for Sliding Box with Given Forces

• Thread starter mortho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem asks to find the distance a box will travel when given an initial push with a speed of 4.2 m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.18. After some discussion and using the equations F=ma and x=Vit+1/2at^2, it is determined that the mass of the box can be cancelled out and the acceleration can be found using a=Fnet/m. This leads to the solution of using the equation x=Vit+1/2at^2 to find the distance the box will travel, which is approximately 5.01 m.
mortho
[SOLVED] Finding distance using forces

Homework Statement

A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.18 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.2 m/s?

Homework Equations

x=Vit+1/2at squared

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to figure out Fa since i know the coeffiecient. But since i cannot find time I'm trying to use another equation to find distance. I'm really bad at finding these things without a mass given becaue I'm so used to that. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation are you using to find the frictional force? That is the only force acting horizontally on the box. So it is the the net force in [tex]F_{net} = ma [/tex]. Use this approach to find the deceleration of the box. Once you have that, you can apply kinematics to figure out how far the box moved.

You don't need to know the mass, it will cancel out in your equations.

i don't understand how mass can cancel out, howe can you use Fnet=ma with two unknowns?

i don't understand how mass can cancel out, howe can you use Fnet=ma with two unknowns?
What do you think is the other unknown?

keep in mind that after the moment the box is given the push the only force acting on the object in the x- direction is friction from there you can apply

SumF = ma
-f = ma
-(mu)mg = m*a
therefore a = - (mu) g

Now as hage567 said use kinematics to find the displacement of the box.

hage567 said:
What do you think is the other unknown?
i don't see how you use F=ma to solve this question, you don't have any of the variables. although i don't see how to solve it myself..

well my teacher really hasn't talked much about kinematics or maybe she has..we don't ever use the book, just her notes. But you i used the acceleration which i got -1.76 m/s2 and used it to find time t=-2Vi/a and got 4.77 s and plugged the numbers into x=Vit+1/2at2 and got 40.0 m is that correct?

Senjai said:
i don't see how you use F=ma to solve this question, you don't have any of the variables. although i don't see how to solve it myself..

After the initial push the only force acting on the block is the frictional force, [tex]f = \mu_k N [/tex], where N is the normal force (in this case it is equal to the weight of the block, mg).

So put that together with F = ma, the mass cancels and there is only one unknown left, which is a.

is 40.0 m correct> ?

hage567 said:
After the initial push the only force acting on the block is the frictional force, [tex]f = \mu_k N [/tex], where N is the normal force (in this case it is equal to the weight of the block, mg).

So put that together with F = ma, the mass cancels and there is only one unknown left, which is a.

oops, I am tired.. thanks lol so so ma = uN

N = mg

ma/mg mass cancles out, a/g = u

so a = g(u) ?

Last edited:
mortho said:
well my teacher really hasn't talked much about kinematics or maybe she has..we don't ever use the book, just her notes. But you i used the acceleration which i got -1.76 m/s2 and used it to find time t=-2Vi/a and got 4.77 s and plugged the numbers into x=Vit+1/2at2 and got 40.0 m is that correct?

t=-2Vi/a

Where is that 2 coming from? Find the right time, and your second equation should give the correct result.

But:

You can do this without finding the time. Look at your kinematic equations and see which one has what you know, and the one thing you need. You know the initial and final velocities, right?

Senjai said:
oops, I am tired.. thanks lol so so ma = uN

N = mg

ma/mg mass cancles out, a/g = u

so a = g(u) ?

sorry for another interruption, so after a = gu

solve for delta t using a = delta v/delta t
then solve for delta x using v = delta x/delta t ?

Senjai said:
sorry for another interruption, so after a = gu

solve for delta t using a = delta v/delta t
then solve for delta x using v = delta x/delta t ?

Yes, you can find t using your first equation. But to find x, you must use an equation that involves acceleration, since the block is not moving at a constant velocity.

But, like I said already, you don't actually need to solve for the time directly. There is a kinematic equation you can use that will let you solve for x without knowing what t is. Perhaps it is good practice for you to try it both ways!

Ok ..i don't have Vf though..if i use (Vf2-Vi2)/2a and to find Vf i need to have x don't i? hm..let me look some more or think about what i can use to find Vf ..so far i could only think of squareroot Vi+2ax ..

Oh! i see! you must use the formula: [tex]\Delta X = V_{1}\Delta t + \frac{1}{2}a(\Delta t)^2[/tex] ??

Last edited:
mortho said:
Ok ..i don't have Vf though..if i use (Vf2-Vi2)/2a and to find Vf i need to have x don't i? hm..let me look some more or think about what i can use to find Vf ..so far i could only think of squareroot Vi+2ax ..

The block comes to rest, so Vf = 0.

Senjai said:
Oh! i see! you must use the formula: [tex]\Delta X = V_{1}\Delta t + \frac{1}{2}a(\Delta t)^2[/tex] ??

Yes, you can use this equation if you are going to find the time first.

Awesome, Thanks a bunch!

how do i find the right time?

oh ..sorry i didn't see the second page okies..so it's 5.01 m?

mortho said:
how do i find the right time?

You can use [tex]a_{ave} = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex]

mortho said:
oh ..sorry i didn't see the second page okies..so it's 5.01 m?

Looks good.

Thanks Again!

1. How do forces help in finding distance?

Forces can be used to calculate the distance between objects by using the formula F = ma, where F is the force applied, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. By rearranging the formula to d = F/m, you can find the distance traveled by an object when given the force and mass.

2. Can forces be used to find distance in any situation?

Forces can be used to find distance in situations where there is a constant force acting on an object. If the force is not constant, other factors such as time and velocity may need to be considered in order to accurately calculate the distance traveled.

3. How can I use multiple forces to find distance?

If there are multiple forces acting on an object, you can use vector addition to find the net force. Once you have the net force, you can use the formula F = ma to find the distance traveled by the object. It is important to make sure all the forces are in the same direction and use the correct units in your calculations.

4. Is there a difference between distance and displacement?

Yes, there is a difference between distance and displacement. Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the distance and direction from the starting point to the ending point. Displacement takes into account the direction of travel, while distance does not.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding distance using forces?

Finding distance using forces has many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car when applying brakes, determining the distance a ball travels when thrown, or estimating the distance an airplane will travel during takeoff. It is also used in physics and engineering to design and test various structures and machines.