Finding eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum

Also, the Lagrangian equations turn out to be\begin{eqnarray*}(M+2m)\ddot s + 2lm(\ddot\phi\cos\phi - \dot\phi^2\sin\phi) = 0\\2l^2m\ddot\phi + 2lm\sin\phi (l\dot s\dot\phi + g) = 0\end{eqnarray*}In summary, the problem is to find the eigenfrequency of a system consisting of a tube attached to two pendulums. The Lagrangian equations are derived using small angle approximation and it is found that the system has two normal mode frequencies.
moonjob

Homework Statement

This problem is from the 1992 GRE. A tube is free to slide on a frictionless wire. On each end of the tube is attached a pendulum. The mass of the tube is [itex]M[/itex]. The length and mass of the pendula are [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex], respectively.

Homework Equations

It is given that one of the eigenfrequencies is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{g(M+2m)}{lM}}[/itex]. I want to verify this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Lagrangians and made the suitable small angle approximation. Here is my work:
The position of either pendulum bob, using the initial position of its pivot as an origin is\\
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
x = s + l\sin\phi\\
y = -l\cos\phi\\
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

The derivatives are
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\dot x = \dot s + l\dot\phi\cos\phi\\
\dot y = l\dot\phi\sin\phi
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

The total kinetic energy is
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot s^2 + m(\dot x^2 + \dot y^2)\\
= \frac{1}{2}M\dot s^2 + m((\dot s + l\dot\phi\cos\phi)^2 + (l\dot\phi\sin\phi)^2)\\
= \frac{1}{2}M\dot s^2 + m(\dot s^2 + 2l\dot s\dot\phi\cos\phi + l^2\dot\phi^2\cos^2\phi + l^2\dot\phi^2\sin^2\phi)\\
= (\frac{1}{2}M+m)\dot s^2 + m( 2l\dot s\dot\phi\cos\phi + l^2\dot\phi^2)\\
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

The potential energy from the height of the bobs
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
U = 2mgy\\
=-2mg\cos\phi
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

The Largrangian is
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\mathcal{L} = T - U\\
= (\frac{1}{2}M+m)\dot s^2 + m( 2l\dot s\dot\phi\cos\phi + l^2\dot\phi^2) + 2mg\cos\phi\\
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

Find the Lagrangian equation relative to [itex]s[/itex]
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot s} = (M+2m)\dot s + 2lm\dot\phi\cos\phi\\
\frac{d}{dt}\left ( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot s} \right )
= (M+2m)\ddot s + 2lm(\ddot\phi\cos\phi - \dot\phi^2\sin\phi)\\
\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial s}=0\\
\boxed{(M+2m)\ddot s + 2lm(\ddot\phi\cos\phi - \dot\phi^2\sin\phi) = 0}
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

Find the Lagrangian equation relative to [itex]\phi[/itex]
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot \phi} = m(2l\dot s\cos\phi + 2l^2\dot\phi)\\
\frac{d}{dt}\left ( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot \phi} \right )
= 2lm(\ddot s\cos\phi - \dot s\dot\phi\sin\phi + l\ddot\phi)\\
\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} = -2m\sin\phi (l\dot s\dot\phi + g)\\
\boxed{2lm(\ddot s\cos\phi - \dot s\dot\phi\sin\phi + l\ddot\phi) + 2m\sin\phi (l\dot s\dot\phi + g) = 0}
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

Now, recall the first equation
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
(M+2m)\ddot s + 2lm(\ddot\phi\cos\phi - \dot\phi^2\sin\phi) = 0\\
2lm(\ddot s\cos\phi - \dot s\dot\phi\sin\phi + l\ddot\phi) + 2m\sin\phi (l\dot s\dot\phi + g) = 0
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

Take the small angle approximation
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\frac{(M+2m)}{2lm}\ddot s + \ddot\phi - \dot\phi^2\phi = 0\\
\ddot s + l\ddot\phi + \phi \frac{g}{l} = 0
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

It is clear that the goal is in sight, but my diffeqs skills are somewhat rusty. I can't see exactly how to show that the system has the stated eigenfrequency. Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to add that solving algebraically (if you neglect the [itex]\dot\phi^2\phi[/itex] term), one reaches the following equation:

[itex]
\ddot\phi - \frac{g(M+2m)}{l^2M}\phi = 0
[/itex]

Which appears to have too many factors of [itex]l[/itex] in the denominator. I suppose the GRE could have been in error, but I want to know for sure.

Last edited:
The units don't work out with your result.

In your derivation of the Lagrangian, how come you're assuming the angular displacement of the two pendulums are identical? Don't they oscillate independently of each other?

vela said:
The units don't work out with your result.

In your derivation of the Lagrangian, how come you're assuming the angular displacement of the two pendulums are identical? Don't they oscillate independently of each other?

Hmm, you're right. I'll have to look through it again.

The question (I may not have stated this) is looking for normal mode frequencies. According to my understanding, that means that all parts oscillate such that the phase difference between them doesn't change. You're correct that this does not mean they need to have the same angular displacement. I think I must have assumed that the mode mentioned was in fact the mode where the pendula had equal angular displacement.

It turns out that I forgot to bring along the [itex]l[/itex] into the potential energy; that makes the units work out.

1. What is a coupled pendulum?

A coupled pendulum is a system of two or more pendulums that are connected to each other by a common support or coupling. When one pendulum moves, it causes the other pendulums to also move due to the shared connection.

2. Why is it important to find the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum?

Knowing the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum is important because it helps us understand the natural oscillations of the system. These frequencies can also be used to predict the behavior of the system and make adjustments to achieve desired results.

3. How do you find the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum?

The eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum can be found by solving the equations of motion for the system. This involves considering the individual pendulums as well as the coupling between them, and using mathematical techniques such as matrix diagonalization or numerical methods to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. What factors affect the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum?

The eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum are affected by the lengths, masses, and initial conditions of the individual pendulums, as well as the strength and type of coupling between them. Changes in any of these factors can alter the natural oscillations of the system and affect its eigenfrequencies.

5. Can the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum be changed?

Yes, the eigenfrequencies of a coupled pendulum can be changed by altering the physical parameters of the system, such as the lengths or masses of the pendulums, or by adjusting the coupling between them. Changes in these parameters can result in shifts or adjustments to the eigenfrequencies of the system.