Finding elastic constant given mass and elongation

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the elastic potential energy and spring constant of a spring that is suspending a known mass. The only given information is the mass of the weight and the length of the spring's elongation. The equations used to solve this problem include the elastic potential energy equation (EPE = 1/2Kx^2), the gravitational potential energy equation (GPE = 9.81mh), and the total potential energy/kinetic energy equation (GPE + EPE = Total PE/KE). The key to solving this problem is using the spring formula, F = kx, and substituting the force (F) with mass (m) multiplied by gravitational acceleration (g). This will
Prio

Homework Statement

I'm doing a lab where a known mass is suspended by a spring. All that is known is the mass of the weight used and the length of the elongation of the spring, and I need to find the elastic potential energy of the spring and the spring constant, K.

Homework Equations

(formatted text links aren't clicking for me?)
Elastic PE = 1/2Kx^2--x normally applies to the elongation of the spring though it is extending in the y direction in this case

Gravitational PE = 9.81mh

GPE + EPE = Total PE/KE (energy is assumed to be conserved)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I have two variables and no way I can see to substitute for one of them to simplify the equation, so I don't know how to isolate a spring constant or the elastic potential energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the other spring formula, F = kx.

Ah, that should help. is that force found with Mass*g*x?
Thanks for the help thus far.

The F is mass*g.
Solve for k.

lol you're right-- after I thought about it, I realized it was just m*g. I'll be able to finish it up , and now I'm sure you want to get to some more questions so have a good night;)

1. How do I calculate the elastic constant given mass and elongation?

To calculate the elastic constant, also known as the spring constant, you will need to use the formula k = mg/x, where k is the elastic constant, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and x is the elongation of the spring in meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the elastic constant?

The unit of measurement for the elastic constant is newtons per meter (N/m). This represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by one meter.

3. Can the elastic constant change for the same spring?

Yes, the elastic constant can change for the same spring depending on factors such as the material of the spring, temperature, and the amount of wear and tear on the spring over time.

4. Is there a difference between elastic constant and spring constant?

No, elastic constant and spring constant refer to the same concept. They both represent the stiffness of a spring and are measured in the same unit of newtons per meter (N/m).

5. How does the mass of an object affect the elastic constant?

The mass of an object attached to a spring does not directly affect the elastic constant. However, the more massive the object, the more force will be required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain amount, resulting in a higher elongation and a larger elastic constant.