How to Find Equivalent Capacitance?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent capacitance given a figure. The person attempted to solve it by adding the top and bottom capacitance in series, and then adding them in parallel. However, they were unsure about the order of adding the parallel components and suggested looking up delta-wye transformations for clarification.
aimee3

Homework Statement

Hi, i was working on finding the equivalent capacitance, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right
This is the figure : http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/ryu0919/physicsproblem2.jpg?

Homework Equations

Find the equivalent capacitance?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of adding the top in series, and i got 1/C = 1/2 + 1/1 = 3/2 so C = 2/3
on the bottom, i added them in series too and i got 1/C = 1/3 + 1/5 = 8/15 so C = 15/8
then i thought i could add all of them in parallel and i added 2/3+15/8+4 = 20/3

but i don't know which one i am supposed to add first, because 1 and 3 are in parallel, and 2 and 5 are also in parallel, so do i add those first? I don't get the order..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do a search for delta-wye transformations...

FAQ: How to Find Equivalent Capacitance?

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is the single capacitance value that represents the combined effect of multiple capacitors in a circuit. It is the effective capacitance that results in the same overall behavior as the individual capacitors.

2. Why is it important to find equivalent capacitance?

Finding equivalent capacitance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall behavior of a circuit, such as its charge storing and discharging capabilities.

3. How do you find equivalent capacitance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the inverse of the sum of the inverses of each individual capacitance. This can be represented by the equation 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...

4. How do you find equivalent capacitance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of all the individual capacitances. This can be represented by the equation Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ...

5. Can equivalent capacitance be negative?

No, equivalent capacitance cannot be negative as it is a measure of the overall capacitance in a circuit and capacitors can only have positive values. If the calculated equivalent capacitance is negative, it indicates an error in the calculations.