Find Experimental Results for Physics Project

In summary: I don't know what the goal would be. It's just an idea I had and I would like to see if anyone has had any similar ideas or done similar experiments.In summary, a physics student is looking for ways to find experimental results on relativity theory. Ads and arxiv are sources of theoretical papers, but the student is having difficulty finding any experimental papers.
cgreeleybsu
TL;DR Summary
I have found plenty of theoretical papers on what I want to research for a class, but I want some experimental sources for my project.
I'm a physics student in undergrad. For a project in our class in which we propose an experiment (which we will not actually perform and we can use resources we don't have access too for the "experiment") and base it on existing research for that topic. I am searching on ads and arxiv, so far I have found plenty of theoretical papers on the topic, and even proposed experimental ideas (which I'm sure will help), however I am having difficulty finding any experimental papers. Is there a good way to filter my results to experimental research? aads has a menu that says "data" on the side, but nothing appears under it. This is for a class in general relativity which is why I posted here, although I am looking for generalized advice for both my research now and the present.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is, you haven't told us, which experiment you want to describe. There are tons of measurements about testing relativity theory (both special and general). It reaches from verifying the time dilation by measuring the lifetime of fastly moving instable particles (in accelerators/storage rings, as well as the famous muons from the atmosphere), the experiments on particle kinematics (as early as ~1910, when Kaufmann did his measurements on the motion of electrons in electric and magnetic fields trying to distinguish Einstein's predictions vs. alternative theories, e.g., by Abraham) or the plenty of astronomical tests of general relativity. Right now the successful measurement of the perihelion shift of a star moving around the huge black hole in the center of our galaxy was discussed even in the public press, all the phantastic high-precision results from pulsar timing, or the gravitational-wave detection by LIGO/VIRGO and their identification with black-hole and neutron-star, or NS-BH mergers and all that. Also recently the first "image of a black hole" has been shot by the event-horizon-telescope collaboration.

It's of course impossible to list all interesting experiments in the wide area of both special and general relativity. A standard reference for GR (open access) is

https://link.springer.com/article/10.12942/lrr-2014-4

So what is it in this wide area you are after? Maybe we can help you to find interesting papers then!

Likes cgreeleybsu and dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
The problem is, you haven't told us, which experiment you want to describe. There are tons of measurements about testing relativity theory (both special and general). It reaches from verifying the time dilation by measuring the lifetime of fastly moving instable particles (in accelerators/storage rings, as well as the famous muons from the atmosphere), the experiments on particle kinematics (as early as ~1910, when Kaufmann did his measurements on the motion of electrons in electric and magnetic fields trying to distinguish Einstein's predictions vs. alternative theories, e.g., by Abraham) or the plenty of astronomical tests of general relativity. Right now the successful measurement of the perihelion shift of a star moving around the huge black hole in the center of our galaxy was discussed even in the public press, all the phantastic high-precision results from pulsar timing, or the gravitational-wave detection by LIGO/VIRGO and their identification with black-hole and neutron-star, or NS-BH mergers and all that. Also recently the first "image of a black hole" has been shot by the event-horizon-telescope collaboration.

It's of course impossible to list all interesting experiments in the wide area of both special and general relativity. A standard reference for GR (open access) is

https://link.springer.com/article/10.12942/lrr-2014-4

So what is it in this wide area you are after? Maybe we can help you to find interesting papers then!
Thank you for the reply. I am looking for generally how to do this, but maybe a specific search first will help. Please don't roll your eyes too hard at this haha, but I want to look at the effects of the Casimir Effect and Squeezed Light (as well as possibly other sources of negative energy, but right now I am limiting the scope) on spacetime.

I have a list of sources (it includes stuff from before I was limiting the scope), but under "Quantum Effects" part I found some relevant experimental proposals, but not many relevant results, although, plenty of theory.EDIT:
One of the ideas for the experiment itself I had was sending a satellite to the Lagrange point behind the moon. Inside it would have an experimental setup which could detach from the outer hull of the satellite so it could float there without any sources of vibration, as well as have the outer hull act as a Faraday cage for it. The setup (I was thinking, maybe, but I want to read more into the proposed experiments) would be a White-Juday interferomoter searching for positive curvature (if I am not mistaken that's what we need the negative mass for in the Alcubierre/Natario drive needs as well as in traversable worm holes... please don't roll your eyes too hard 😅 ), but not looking for a warp field or anything. The interferometer would have test elements that produce the Casimir effect and squeezed light, and it would measure what happened to the spacetime while those effects were taking place (and when they weren't, for control).

Attachments

• Added Sources.txt
    104 bytes · Views: 141
  • Initial Sources.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

1. How do I find experimental results for my physics project?

To find experimental results for your physics project, you will need to conduct experiments and record your data. This can be done through various methods such as using laboratory equipment, conducting simulations, or collecting data from published studies.

2. What is the importance of experimental results in a physics project?

Experimental results are essential in a physics project as they provide evidence and support for your hypothesis or theory. They also allow for the replication of your experiment by other scientists, which is crucial in the scientific method.

3. How do I analyze my experimental results?

To analyze your experimental results, you will need to use statistical methods and tools such as graphs, charts, and calculations. These will help you identify patterns and trends in your data and draw meaningful conclusions.

4. What are some common errors to watch out for when conducting experiments?

Some common errors to watch out for when conducting experiments include human error, equipment malfunctions, and external factors such as temperature or humidity. It is essential to take precautions and carefully plan your experiment to minimize these errors.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my experimental results?

To ensure the accuracy of your experimental results, you can use control groups, repeat your experiment multiple times, and have your results peer-reviewed by other scientists. It is also crucial to follow proper scientific methods and protocols when conducting your experiment.