1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Final Velocity

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    This question was actually a 3 part question. I answered (a) and (b) correctly however I can't figure out how to calculate the 'final velocity of the skydiver'. Here are the givens:

x axis
    v1 - 90 m/s
    acceleration - zero
    delta t - 10.6 seconds
    delta d - 958.5 m

Y axis
    v1 = 0
    delta t - 10.6 seconds
    acceleration = -9.8 m/s^2
    delta d = 550 m

I was already asked to calculate the vertical velocity of the skydiver which was 100 m/s.

However now they want me to find the final velocity. I was thinking about using the equation:

V2= V1 + a (delta t)

When I use this equation though I don't come up with the right answer, which is supposed to be 130 m/s.

Help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

It would help if you posted the whole question as stated to you since it's not clear what the situation is. "v1 - 90"?? I'm assuming you mean "v1 = 90"?? Anyway, i'll offer this advice: if the skydiver is not falling straight down, the final velocity will have two components to it (x and y). You need to find the resultant of those two components to get the final velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?