Why Does a Dipole Experience Zero Force from Another Dipole?

In summary, The problem involves two dipoles, one on the y-axis and the other on the x-axis. The force on each charge of the second dipole by the first dipole is calculated using the tangent and is not equal to zero due to the different distances between the charges. Torque on one dipole due to the other can be calculated by adding the forces vectorically.
cherrios
I've worked this problem out, but I seem to get zero force on the second dipole due to the first dipole.

The problem is situated as such:

There are Q charges along the y axis: Q+ and Q-. They are a distance r apart. Their distance from the origin (at the center of the two charges) is r/2. This is the first dipole.

The second dipole is on the the x-axis, to the right. These have charges q+ and q-. The distance q+ has from the origin is x-d/2, for q-, the distance is x+d/2. (q+ and q- are a distance 'd' apart).

dip.jpg

I took the force on each q+ and q- charge by Q+ and Q-. I took the tangent as the distance between them, but I seem to get zero.

Also, how would torque on one dipole due to another be calculuated?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force is a vector quantity hence we have to add them vectorically and then the resultant will not be zero on each charge q. The distances of +q and -q are different so the resultant force on +q and -q will not be zero.

Thank you for sharing your work on finding the force on a dipole. It is important to carefully consider all factors and variables in a problem in order to arrive at an accurate solution. In this case, it is possible that the distances and orientations of the charges may be affecting the force calculation. It would be helpful to double check the distances and directions of the charges to ensure they are correctly accounted for in the force calculation.

In terms of calculating torque on one dipole due to another, it would involve taking into account the position and orientation of the dipoles relative to each other, as well as the forces acting on each dipole. The torque can be calculated using the formula τ = r x F, where r is the position vector and F is the force vector. It may also be helpful to consider the concept of torque as a cross product of force and distance in order to accurately calculate the torque on the dipole.

I hope this helps in your further analysis of this problem. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite electrical charges separated by a small distance. In other words, it is a molecule or object with a positive and a negative end.

2. How is the force on a dipole calculated?

The force on a dipole is calculated as the product of the magnitude of the charge on one end of the dipole and the strength of the electric field at that point, multiplied by the distance between the two charges. This can be represented by the equation F = qEδ, where q is the charge, E is the electric field, and δ is the distance between the charges.

3. What factors affect the force on a dipole?

The force on a dipole is affected by the magnitude of the charges on each end of the dipole, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the charges. Additionally, the orientation of the dipole in relation to the electric field can also affect the force.

4. How does the force on a dipole change in different electric fields?

The force on a dipole will change in different electric fields depending on the strength and direction of the electric field. In a uniform electric field, the force on a dipole will be constant, while in a non-uniform electric field, the force will vary in different regions.

5. What is the significance of finding the force on a dipole?

Finding the force on a dipole is important in understanding the behavior of molecules and objects in electric fields. It can also be used to predict and control the movement of charged particles in various applications such as electrophoresis and particle accelerators.