1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding force on dipole

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    I've worked this problem out, but I seem to get zero force on the second dipole due to the first dipole.

The problem is situated as such:

There are Q charges along the y axis: Q+ and Q-. They are a distance r apart. Their distance from the origin (at the center of the two charges) is r/2. This is the first dipole.

The second dipole is on the the x-axis, to the right. These have charges q+ and q-. The distance q+ has from the origin is x-d/2, for q-, the distance is x+d/2. (q+ and q- are a distance 'd' apart).

I took the force on each q+ and q- charge by Q+ and Q-. I took the tangent as the distance between them, but I seem to get zero.

Also, how would torque on one dipole due to another be calculuated?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The force is a vector quantity hence we have to add them vectorically and then the resultant will not be zero on each charge q. The distances of +q and -q are different so the resultant force on +q and -q will not be zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?