Finding Frequencies in Two Strings Stuck Together

In summary, The easiest way to find the frequency of a character in a merged string is by looping through the string and using a counter to keep track of how many times the character appears. You can also use built-in string methods like <code>count()</code> or regular expressions to find the frequency. To find the frequency of a substring in a merged string, you can use the <code>count()</code> method or regular expressions. For more advanced pattern matching, you can use the <code>re.findall()</code> method, which returns a list of all the matches found. To optimize the process of finding frequencies in a merged string, you can use efficient data structures like dictionaries or sets and built-in string methods or regular expressions
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

Two strings have different lengths (L1 = 3.920 m and L2 = 1.960 m) and linear densities (mL1 = 2.64E-1 kg/m and mL2 = 6.60E-2 kg/m), as the drawing below shows.

|........|
|........|
|----------------------------------|
|........|
|........|
(Okay, only the "-"s are the line, it's pretty much just two strings that are stuck together, with different linear densities)

They are joined together and stretched so that the tension in each string is 192 N. The free ends of the joined string are fixed in place. Find the lowest frequency that permits standing waves in both strings with a node at the junction. The standing wave pattern in each string may have a different number of loops.

L1 = 3.92 m
L2 = 1.96 m
mL1 = 0.264 kg/m
mL2 = 0.0660 kg/m
T = 192 N

Homework Equations

v = √(T / µ)
v = ƒ (Landa)

The Attempt at a Solution

v = √(T / µ)
v = √(192 / 0.264)
v = 27.0 m

v = √(T / µ)
v = √(192 / 0.0660)
v = 54.0 m

I found the speed in both strings using their proper linear density. After getting two speeds and having two different wavelengths resulting in two completely different frequencies. Then i realized perhaps the speed should be the same, since they're attached. But even then the frequency isn't the same.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, there are a few things that you need to consider in order to find the correct frequency for standing waves in both strings.

Firstly, it is important to note that when two strings are joined together, the tension in the string is not evenly distributed. In other words, the tension in the string with a higher linear density will be greater than the tension in the string with a lower linear density. This means that the speed of the waves in each string will be different.

To find the correct frequency, you will need to use the speed of the waves in the string with the higher linear density. This is because the standing wave pattern will have a shorter wavelength in this string, and therefore a higher frequency.

So, in your calculations, you should use the speed of 54.0 m/s, which you found for the string with the higher linear density of 0.0660 kg/m. This will give you a frequency of 13.5 Hz.

I hope this helps you in finding the correct solution. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.
Scientist

1. How can I find the frequency of a specific character in a merged string?

The easiest way to find the frequency of a character in a merged string is by looping through the string and using a counter to keep track of how many times the character appears. You can also use built-in string methods like count() or regular expressions to find the frequency.

2. Can I find the frequency of more than one character in a merged string?

Yes, you can find the frequency of multiple characters in a merged string by using a similar approach as mentioned in the previous question. You can also create a dictionary to store the frequencies of each character and then loop through it to find the frequencies of the characters you are interested in.

3. How can I find the frequency of a substring in a merged string?

To find the frequency of a substring in a merged string, you can use the count() method or regular expressions. For more advanced pattern matching, you can use the re.findall() method, which returns a list of all the matches found.

4. Is there a way to find the frequency of characters case-insensitively in a merged string?

Yes, you can find the frequency of characters case-insensitively by converting the string to lowercase or uppercase before counting the frequency. This ensures that both uppercase and lowercase versions of the same character are counted as one.

5. How can I optimize the process of finding frequencies in a merged string?

One way to optimize the process is by using efficient data structures like dictionaries or sets to store the frequencies instead of looping through the string every time. Additionally, you can use built-in string methods or regular expressions to find the frequencies instead of writing your own functions.