1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding gain from a bode plot

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Transfer function:
    G(s) =[tex]\frac{k}{s^{2}+2\varsigma\omega_{n}s+\omega_{n}^{2}}[/tex]

a) if u(t) = cos(2t), find the steady state response
    b) determine the values for k, damping ratio ([tex]\varsigma[/tex]), and the natural frequency.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to find the steady state response by finding G(wj) where w = 2 from the input function. However, I can't seem to find the correct values for k, damping ratio, and the natural frequency.

first I found the cut off magnitudes from the bode plot by multiplying the largest magnitude (40) by (1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], to obtain the magnitude of the cut off frequencies to be approx. 28.28db. and found the cut off frequencies to be 8 and 10.1 rad/sec, which allows the Bandwidth to be determined by subtracting the two cut off frequencies.

I believe the natural frequency should be 10, since it is also the center frequency, and I found the damping ration to be 0.105 by dividing the bandwidth by 2 times the natural frequency. And I think the gain should be 10.

my transfer function
    G(s) =[tex]\frac{10}{s^{2}+2.1s+100}[/tex]

when I find the bode plot of this function it looks similar to the provided plot, but the magnitude is off.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

It's been a while I've done these, hopefully I'm not terribly wrong here as it's not quite my area of specialty. At least I got the image plotted in Matlab and it is indeed exactly the same.

Anyway, setting s = 0, you immediately see that the low pass gain ought to be k/w_n^2. Yours is 1/10, which, if my math is right, gives -20 dB gain rather than 20 dB as shown in the figure.

Phase -90 is quite special. Use that to get a second relation between the parameters. Finally I'd proceed to check what value and where |G| gets as its maximum to find the third and last relation between the parameters. You ought to get nice integers as answers (well, the damping parameter is a reciprocal of one).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook