Finding gradient of slope involving angle

In summary, the task is to find the equations of two straight lines that are at a 45 degree angle to the line 2x + y - 3 = 0 and pass through the point (-1, 4). Using the equation tan θ = (m1 - m2)/(1+ m1m2), it does not matter which way m1 and m2 are assigned, as it will give the same angle θ.
Kurokari

Homework Statement

Find the equations of both the straight lines that are inclined at an angle of 45 ° with straight line 2x + y - 3 = 0 and passing through the point (-1 , 4)

Homework Equations

tan θ = (m1 - m2)/(1+ m1m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were to use the equation above, how would I know which is m1 and m2? Is there anyway to test it out or deduce which is m1 and which is m2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swapping m1 and m2 in the formula is equivalent to negating theta. You are looking for lines that make angle theta to a given line, so that would be both plus and minus. Therefore it does not matter which way you assign m1 and m2.

Well what about if there is a negative and and a positive?

Say m1 = -1 and m2 = 2

If we followed the formula, I would get a tanθ,
However if I were to swap them, I would instead get a negative tanθ. Or does this matter?

Kurokari said:
Well what about if there is a negative and and a positive?

Say m1 = -1 and m2 = 2

If we followed the formula, I would get a tanθ,
However if I were to swap them, I would instead get a negative tanθ. Or does this matter?
That just says the angle between the m1 and m2 lines is θ. Whether you consider that as plus or minus depends on which of the two lines you start from. In the present problem you are asked for two lines at angle 45 degrees to a given line, so you want both cases.

1. What is the formula for finding the gradient of slope involving an angle?

The formula for finding the gradient of slope involving an angle is tan(θ), where θ represents the angle of inclination or slope.

2. How do you find the angle of inclination or slope?

The angle of inclination or slope can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the gradient of slope. This can be written as θ = tan-1(m), where m represents the gradient of slope.

3. Can the gradient of slope be negative?

Yes, the gradient of slope can be negative. This means that the slope is decreasing in the direction of the angle of inclination.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the gradient of slope involving an angle?

Yes, there are two special cases: when the angle of inclination is 0° or 90°. When the angle is 0°, the gradient of slope is 0. When the angle is 90°, the gradient of slope is undefined.

5. How is the gradient of slope used in real life?

The gradient of slope is commonly used in various fields such as construction, engineering, and geography. It is used to determine the steepness of a slope, which is important for building structures, designing roads and highways, and analyzing landforms.